Thursday, March 06, 2014

Andrea Michele Buford: In her own words

Judge Andrea Michele Buford is a candidate for the countwide Veal vacancy. Her punch number is 160.


Hello, my name is Andrea M. Buford. I am a sitting judge. I am a life-long resident of the City of Chicago having attended IIT Chicago Kent College of Law, Northwestern University, Aquinas Dominican High School and Holy Cross Elementary. Prior to my appointment to the bench I worked primarily, as a civil litigation defense attorney. I have 28 years of litigation experience. As a practicing attorney, I was appointed a Special Assistant Attorney General, A Special Assistant Corporation Counsel, a Federal Foreclosure Commissioner and for the past seven years I served as a Commissioner on the Illinois Court of Claims. I have also served as a Hearing Officer for the State Board of Education as well as the Department of Human Services. I served as an Arbitrator for the Circuit Court of Cook County from the inception of the program. I have an AV rating from Martindale Hubbell and have been named an Illinois “Super Lawyer.”

In my practice I represented government entities, private corporations and some individuals.

Prior to my appointment to the bench I was screened by the bar associations and an additional level of screening that 95% of the candidates do not have and that is I was screened by a special committee of the Illinois Supreme Court appointed by Justice Theis. They did not just accept the ratings of the bar associations but went a step further. I was found highly qualified, qualified and/or recommended by the bar associations. Some of the comments from the reviewers include:

(Judge Buford) “is an exceptional candidate of character and legal skills.”
Cook County Bar Association

“Judge Buford is well regarded for her integrity, knowledge of the law, excellent demeanor and legal skills.”
Chicago Bar Association

(Judge Buford) “is reported to have good legal ability, a good temparament, and a breadth of experience. She is considered to be hard working and always well prepared.”
Chicago Council of Lawyers

(Judge Buford) “will bring to that office, fidelity to the law, intelligence and, perhaps most importantly, considerable experience and empathy regarding the difficult circumstances of life that judges resolve everyday.”
Committee of the Illinois Supreme Court

I have been slated by the Cook County Democratic Party and endorsed by the Chicago Federation of Labor, the Indo-American Democratic Organization, Citizen Action Illinois, IVI IPO, Asian American Action Fund of Chicago, the United Hellenic Voters of America, the Soul Slate and the Illinois Demcratic Women of the South Suburbs.

I am committed to working for the betterment of society. I am a past president of the Cook County Bar Association, the immediate past president of the Cook County Bar Association Foundation and the immediate past chair of the Economic Development Committee for the NAACP. In those roles I have contributed to the community. I ran a pro bono legal clinic, a Law Day program for young students, I have raised scholorship funds and planned an executed a series of economic development workshops. I have served on various Boards and Committees, donating countless hours. Because of my service, I have received numerous awards including, The Richard G. Westbrook award, the Vanguard Award, a Meritourious Service award, the National Black Expo Presidential award, Who’s Who in Black Chicago, Living Legends/Passing the Torch award, Everyday Hero award. I was a contributor to the ABA publication, The Road to Independence. I am also a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.

As a judge I am and will continue to be respectful of all who appear in front of me. I pledge to be prepared, knowlegable, civil and fair. Win or lose, you will leave the bench knowing that I heard what you had to say, that I understood the arguments advanced and that I ruled fairly based upon the evidence presented.

I humbly ask for your vote.

No comments: