Monday, January 14, 2008

More about Alliance ratings -- from Laguina Clay-Clark

I received an email today from Laguina Clay-Clark concerning her ratings from the Alliance of Bar Associations (that link will take you to the grid I posted last week). Judge Clay-Clark wrote, "I feel that a clear explanation is due for my ratings. It is only fair to the public and voters to know and understand the complete story behind the ratings." She attached the following statement to her email:
In December 2006, pending my appointment, I was screened and received favorable ratings from the following bars:

Chicago Bar Assn. Recommended
IL State Bar Assn. Qualified
Cook County Bar Recommended
Black Women’s Bar Recommended
Hispanic Bar Recommended

However, prior to 2006, I did not appear before any of the bars when I ran for judge. In 2004, only after I did not appear, the Alliance implemented its 3-year–rule that bars a candidate from receiving a screening for a total of three years if that candidate did not appear in the prior campaign. For me and other candidates, it was as expo-facto rule because the rule was published after the 2004 campaign.

I petitioned all members of the Alliance for a screening in 2006 and five bars (Asian Bar; Chicago Council; Decalogue Society; Lesbian and Gay; and Women’s Bar) refused to give me a screening and reported negative ratings based solely on my non-participation in 2004. To date, I have not appeared before these bars.

No comments: