Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Debra B. Walker: In her own words

Debra B. Walker is a candidate for the countywide Montelione vacancy.

With over 20 years of civil and commercial litigation experience in federal and state courts at a couple of top defense firms in Chicago (Williams & Montgomery Ltd. and Clausen Miller P.C.), I am the most experienced attorney in my race. I prepare and try complex malpractice cases on behalf of medical and non-medical professionals. I have also defended judges before the Judicial Inquiry Board. In 2007, I was selected by my peers as an Illinois Super Lawyer. One of my cases has even been argued before the U.S. Supreme Court by then attorney, now Chief Justice, John Roberts.

Additionally, I outweigh my opponents in the “totality of life experiences” column, which is equally as important when a person is sitting in judgment of others. I grew up on a farm near Carthage, Illinois. Hard work is no stranger to me. I have detasseled corn and weeded soybean fields from sun-up to sun-down. I studied accounting at the University of Illinois, Urbana, and passed the CPA examination on my first attempt. Then, I worked as a CPA for two years with McGladrey & Pullen, where I audited manufacturers, financial institutions and not-for-profit entities and prepared income tax returns during two busy seasons. I am a devoted daughter, wife, and mother of two.

I also offer the residents of Cook County a lengthy record of community involvement. I am a past president of the Women’s Bar Association of Illinois and the North Michigan Avenue Business & Professional Women’s Network. By appointment of Senator Dick Durbin, I have served on the U.S. Judicial Nominations Commission. For my church, I have served on the Missions and Pastor-Parish Relations Committees, have chaired the Pastor Search Committee and have authored the sexual harassment and child protection policies. Additionally, I currently serve on the Board of Directors of the Illinois Bar Foundation and as a commissioner for the Illinois Supreme Court Commission on Professionalism. I am a 1987 alumna of the University of Illinois College of Law, and have served on its Board of Visitors and was the inaugural chair of its Recent Alumni Advisory Board.

It is indeed the totality of these experiences which makes me uniquely qualified to be a judge. I am patient, impartial and an excellent listener. Ever since my childhood when I helped my four brothers reach consensus on issues, I have been effective at helping others resolve their differences. Above all, I have great respect for the rule of law, a deep sense of what is just, and a yearning to serve my community.

I have been found qualified, recommended or highly recommended by all of the bar associations. My candidacy has been endorsed by the Independent Voters of Illinois Independent Precinct Organization (IVI-IPO), the Chicago Federation of Labor (AFL-CIO), the Chicago Fire Fighters Union, and Personal PAC. I have also been endorsed by Cook County Commissioner Mike Quigley.

Vote for Debra B. Walker for a fair, independent, and diligent judge. Punch #91!

No comments: