Sunday, January 27, 2008

If your mother says she loves you, check it out

That was the legendary motto of the old City News Bureau, once the proving ground for would-be Chicago journalists.

I'm a lawyer blogging in my spare time, not a professional journalist... but I have tried, to the extent possible, to adhere to this standard in collecting and passing along information regarding the upcoming Cook County judicial primary.

For example, when I've posted endorsement information, I've had confirmation of the endorsements from the endorsing group. The Fraternal Order of Police, Chicago Lodge No. 7, was kind enough to send me a list of its endorsed candidates as soon as they were approved by the group's board. The Chicago Federation of Labor posted its endorsements online, as did the IVI-IPO.

I can't say that I'd ever heard of the Jewish Political Alliance of Illinois or the Italian American Political Coalition before this campaign started -- but they also published their judicial endorsements online and I have included these in my posts accordingly. The Illinois Committee for Honest Government -- another group with which I am unfamiliar -- did not have its endorsements on line, but sent me an email list of its endorsements and I've used these as well.

Which brings me to an email I received Friday evening from Aviva Patt, Campaign Manager for Judge James A. Shapiro, candidate for the Sheehan vacancy in the 8th Subcircuit. Patt advises that Judge Shapiro's candidacy has been endorsed by a number of persons or organizations, some that I'd mentioned and some I'd not. (For a complete list of persons and organizations, see this page of the Shapiro website.)

Here's the list of organizations endorsing Judge Shapiro's candidacy that Patt provided:
  • Americans for Democratic Action, Northeastern Illinois Chapter
  • Chicago Federation of Labor
  • Chicago Firefighters Union
  • Citizen Action Illinois
  • Illinois NOW PAC (National Organization for Women)
  • Independent Voters of Illinois-Independent Precinct Organization (IVI-IPO)
  • Jewish Political Alliance
  • Personal PAC
  • Progressive Democrats of America, Chicago Chapter
Now I do not suspect the Shapiro campaign of overstating its case; I accept that Patt is accurately relaying information.

But I'm still uncomfortable posting endorsements unless I can verify them independently.

For example, back in December, when I asked the FOP for information about its endorsements, I also asked the Chicago Fire Fighters Union Local 2 if it would share its endorsement list with me. I never got a response. I've checked Local 2's website periodically since in the hopes of finding its list (I knew there must be a list -- I've seen a number of candidates claiming endorsement by the union) but I didn't find the Fire Fighters' endorsement list until this morning. Now I can add these in -- and I'll be checking on the other groups that Patt provided as well to see what else can be added.

And that brings me to my final point: If you know of a group that has made endorsements for the upcoming primary and has published that list, please send me an email or leave a link or URL in the comments.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On Election day in the 48th Ward at a Bryn Mawr polling place passers were passing a palm card saying Mark #107 Ann Collins Dole for Cook County Judge - 8th Subcircuit. Endorsed by the Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun-Times and Alderman Helen Shiller.