Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Timothy W. Wright, III: In his own words

Timothy W. Wright, III is a candidate for the Shelley vacancy in the 5th Subcircuit. His punch number is 193.
I am Timothy W. Wright III, and I am running for judge of the 5th judicial subcircuit because I can help restore and build confidence in our justice system. I lived my adult life in the 5th Judicial subcircuit of Chicago where I have raised my kids. I graduated from Claremont Mc Kenna College and UCLA School of Law, where I served as Chief Justice of the UCLA Moot Court Honors Program and delivered the graduation address.

I met Congressman Harold Washington my second year of law school. While listening to Washington’s vision of fairness and justice, I soon relocated to Chicago and clerked with the U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois and would soon join Mayor Washington in the capacities of Acting Director of Intergovernmental Affairs, Special Counsel to the Mayor and the first African American Commissioner of Economic Development in the City of Chicago.

I am licensed to practice law in Illinois and California and am also admitted in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, and the U.S. Supreme Court. I was one of the international lawyers who went to South Africa to negotiate for the release of Nelson Mandela and was the lead attorney for Sen. Roland Burris when he was seated in the Senate.

I have been found qualified or recommended by all bar associations who interviewed, and I am the only candidate in my race for the Honorable Diane Shelley vacancy found qualified by the Illinois State Bar Association. My mentors like Harold Washington and Justice Pincham taught me the importance of fairness, integrity, and equal justice. They stand as models for the Justice and Integrity that I thrive to aspire to in service to the courts and the community.

I stand for Justice with Integrity, and I see Justice as a verb that requires action. It requires action in the courtroom in listening and discerning truth based on an understanding of the community in which the court sits. It requires action in championing the engagement of the community in the justice system, and a recognition of the justice system as the most important branch of government impacting upon the lives of people in Illinois and Cook County. This is the work I have attempted to do in all of the capacities I have served, I stand ready to serve the 5th judicial sub circuit and all of Cook County to deliver Justice with Integrity.

I have been endorsed by the people of the Chicago Federation of Labor, the IVI-IPO, Democracy for America, Personal Pac, Chicago Firefighter Union, District Council NO. 14, and endorsed or supported by many others including:
  • Congressman Bobby Rush,
  • Cook County Commissioner and 11th Ward Committeeperson John Daley,
  • Congressman Jesus Garcia,
  • 16th Ward Alderwoman and Committeeperson Stephanie Coleman,
  • Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky,
  • Cook County Board President and Chairperson of the Cook County Democratic Party Toni Preckwinkle,
  • 3rd Ward Alderman and Committeeperson Pat Dowell,
  • 17th Ward Alderman and Committeeperson David Moore,
  • Illinois State Senator Mattie Hunter,
  • 6th Ward Alderman and Committeeperson Roderick Sawyer, and
  • 8th Ward Alderwoman and Committeeperson Michelle Harris
Bishop Larry D. Trotter of Chicago’s Sweet Holy Spirit Church adds, “These endorsements further validate Attorney Wright as a man of integrity, compassion, and love for the people of the 5th Sub-Circuit. His global experiences in helping hurting people are just what our judiciary system has lacked. We are all excited about his campaign and the future of the 5th Sub-Circuit.”

No comments: