Friday, June 17, 2022

Thomas E. Nowinski: In his own words

Thomas E. Nowinski is a candidate for the countywide Hyman vacancy. His punch number is 171.


My name is Thomas Nowinski, and I am running for Cook County Circuit Court Judge - Hyman Vacancy.

For over 17 years, I have dedicated my career to public service because my father, who served on the bench, and mother instilled in me the tenets of honesty, respect, and fairness. They told me to always do the right thing, and to try and make a positive difference. Those teachings have informed my legal career and I practice them each day.

As an Assistant State's Attorney, I served in both the Criminal and Civil Bureaus where I tried hundreds of cases including bench and jury trials and many of them complex civil cases. Those experiences provided depth and breadth to my record recognized by the Chicago Council of Lawyers. They highlighted this very aspect of my career finding me Qualified and noting my "substantial litigation experience in a variety of areas including civil rights, torts, wrongful death, and class action matters."

My career is more than just those courtroom experiences. Over the years, I have successfully negotiated dozens of collective bargaining agreements with many different labor unions and throughout these negotiations, I have earned the respect of many leaders on the other side of the bargaining table. Treating employees fairly and with respect may be the law, but it isn’t always practiced and that approach won me the support of the Chicago Federation of Labor. I am proud to stand in solidarity with my friends in organized labor.

The people of Cook County deserve to have a qualified judiciary, and I am the only candidate for the Hyman Vacancy that has the findings of Qualified or Recommended by every bar association that has evaluated me including the Chicago Bar Association, Illinois State Bar Association, and Chicago Council of Lawyers.

I am also proud to be endorsed by many leaders and organizations including: Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky, Senator Dick Durbin, Senate President Don Harmon, Clerk of the Circuit Court Iris Martinez, Cook County President Toni Preckwinkle, Personal PAC, the Cook County Democratic Party and many others. Please visit my website nowinskiforjudge.com for a list of all of my endorsements and to learn more about my campaign.

On a personal level, I currently live in Oak Park with my wife and two daughters. I am a member of a committee of my local school board that seeks to bring equity to the school district through legislative action. I have also been a volunteer coach for my daughters' softball teams for the last 8 years and a mentor to a high school student from an underrepresented area of Chicago. I am proud to have been raised by two wonderful parents alongside three incredible sisters in Palos Park.

I know what it means to bring honor and dignity to the bench and pledge to do so if the people of Cook County choose me on June 28th in the Democratic Primary. I would be honored to have your vote.

No comments: