Friday, June 17, 2022

Claudia Silva-Hernandez: In her own words

Claudia Silva-Hernandez is a candidate for the countywide Sullivan vacancy. Her punch number is 186.
My name, Claudia Silva-Hernandez and punch # 186, will appear on all Cook County ballots in the June 2022 primary. I am running in all of Cook County for judge of the Circuit Court of Cook County. I am the right candidate and the needed change for the judiciary.

www.silvahernandezforjudge.org

Key endorsements
  • Chicago Federal of Labor (CFL)
  • Ironworkers Local 1
  • Ironworkers Local 63
  • Laborers’ International Union of North America (LiUNA!), and
  • Chicago Fire Fighters Union Local 2 (CFFU)
I have spoken to so many voters disheartened by our current judiciary. They are ready for change. And I will be that change. Cook county residents have told me: Judges aren’t nice people; Judges are out of touch; Judges are not representative of our communities; and voting won’t make a difference. I will be the change voters are desperately looking for and deserve. I am personable, unpretentious and ready for the privilege of serving Cook County constituents on the bench. I represent diversity-as to ethnicity, gender, life experiences and legal background. I am a candidate who overcame adversity in their childhood and educational upbringing to reach the point to be included on the June 2022 ballot. I am well versed in the law, genuinely care about individuals and will make sure everyone is treated with respect.

Legal Background

For over 15 years, I have practiced law in a variety of government settings. A few highlights include Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission, Chicago Housing Authority, Independent Police Review Authority, and State of Illinois as an Administrative Law Judge. All positions prepared me professionally to sit on the bench. All involved highly contentious matters where a person’s reputation, livelihood, or housing was at stake. It was imperative that I review every matter carefully, not rush to judgements, and be impartial. I have reviewed and prosecuted hundreds of matters and assisted thousands of Cook County residents. Most recently, As an Administrative Law Judge with the State of Illinois, it was so fulfilling to connect with appellants, learn about their lives and explain the State's policies and procedures to them. My primary role was to preside over and issue written decisions on appeals. In the spirit of judicial economy, I helped and strategized with hundreds of appellants on a weekly basis to see if there was a way to resolve conflicts between Appellants and the State. I presided over many different types of appeals from individuals in need of food stamps to individuals seeking Medicaid to individuals seeking State aid to cover funeral expenses for loved ones who passed away from Covid, just to name a few. I often heard that I was very helpful -this was especially crucial during the desperate situations many appellants found themselves in during the pandemic.

Personal Background

My parents immigrated from San Luis Potosí, Mexico to the south suburbs of Chicago. My father was fortunate enough to access a union job and retired as a 32-year member of Boilermakers Local 1. My mother has had a private dental practice in the south suburbs for over 35 years. When I went to school in the 80s in Dolton and later Flossmoor, being bilingual and Latina was not commonly found. Since I was a quiet and bilingual child, it was often thought that I was behind academically in school. I found myself tracked in low level courses from kindergarten through the end of high school. I was pegged as being a student who would not be able to achieve much academically. However, I went onto obtain a college degree, masters, and law degree.

I am a resident of The Gap-A four block historic district located in Bronzeville on the Near South Side of Chicago. I am the wife of a supportive husband who has spent the last 24 years of his life beautifying our city’s skyline as an Ironworker with Local 1. Together, we have two amazing children that we proudly send to Chicago Public Schools.

No comments: