Thursday, June 16, 2022

Jacqueline Marie Griffin: In her own words

Jacqueline Marie Griffin is a candidate for the countywide O'Brien vacancy. Her punch number is 183.
I have spent the last 17 years fighting for justice by giving victims of crime a voice. Many of those victims have been left paralyzed and scarred by the mental and physical trauma they have endured due to violent crime. Currently, I am a senior Assistant State’s Attorney in the felony Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Unit. In that role I prosecute the most heinous and disturbing crimes inflicted on our most vulnerable citizens, including children. Along with sexual assault and child abuse cases, I also prosecute domestic related murders which are some of the most difficult cases to prove. Throughout my career as an Assistant State’s Attorney, I have litigated hundreds of criminal and civil cases and gained immeasurable experience inside the courtroom.

My trial work as a prosecutor, however, accounts for only a fraction of the time I spend at work. I dedicate hundreds of hours each year to preparing witnesses for trial and walking victims through the court process; a process which can be confusing, foreign, and intimidating to a non-lawyer. I also dedicate a great deal of time listening and bearing witness to the trauma victims and family members have endured.

My work requires that I prepare children to testify in open court about the most traumatic experiences of their young lives. While heart wrenching, their bravery and resilience inspires me to continue to pursue justice. During the course of my career, I have witnessed the legal system make great strides in the law when it comes to victims’ rights. For instance, my unit received a facility dog to help young and disabled victims cope with the difficult task of testifying in court. Our facility dog has been invaluable in helping children confront their attackers on the stand.

In addition to trying cases in court, I oversee the review of cases that are brought to the State’s Attorney’s Office Felony Review Unit by police agencies from all over Cook County. Evaluating those cases has prepared me to be a fair and impartial judge. It is my responsibility to supervise the Felony Review attorneys while they work with the police agencies to evaluate the facts of the cases and weigh the evidence against the law. It is my great responsibility in this facet to ensure that each element of a particular crime has been met and is properly and fairly charged.

In addition to being a full-time prosecutor, I am a mother, a wife, a classroom parent, a Girl Scout Troop leader, a Tee-ball coach, a soccer coach, a mentor to new attorneys. I have dedicated my life to making our community a safe place to grow and live for everyone.

I am honored that the Chicago Bar Association found me Qualified and stated that “Ms. Griffin has extensive criminal and civil trial experience and is well regarded for her knowledge of the law, fairness and fine demeanor.”

I am also honored to have been found Qualified by the Illinois State Bar Association, Chicago Council of Lawyers, Hispanic Lawyers Association of IL, and Recommended by the Cook County Bar Association, Asian American Bar Association, Puerto Rican Bar Association, Arab American Bar Association, Women’s Bar Association, Hellenic Bar Association of IL, The Advocates Society, and the Black Women’s Lawyer’s Association.

As a member of the Honorable Cook County Judiciary, I will continue to pursue justice and equity in our legal system and continue to be an example of leadership in the legal profession.

No comments: