Friday, June 17, 2022

Kerrie Maloney Laytin: In her own words

Kerrie Maloney Laytin is a candidate for the Vega vacancy in the 6th Subcircuit. Her punch number is 193.
I realized a life-long dream when the Illinois Supreme Court first appointed me to the bench as Circuit Judge in 2019, and now I proudly serve as Associate Judge, elected by my fellow judges. I originally aspired to become a judge because I believe the advantages I received in life demand that I make a positive difference for others. I dedicated my career to public service before taking the bench, and serving on the bench is a continuation of that path.

Currently, I am assigned to the First Municipal District, in the Daley Center, hearing municipal matters, including landlord-tenant, contract, and tort disputes. Formerly, I served in traffic court. In my three years of judicial service, I have presided over hundreds and hundreds of bench trials, contested hearings, and motions in high-volume courtrooms, in both civil and criminal matters. I have received universally positive ratings from every bar association that has reviewed my credentials.

In addition to my tenure on the Circuit Court of Cook County, I served the public in government or public interest positions for 22 years. Most recently, I served as Chief Administrative Law Judge for the Illinois Human Rights Commission, hearing cases of discrimination under the Illinois Human Rights Act and supervising other administrative law judges. Another highlight was serving as Staff Attorney at the Legal Assistance Foundation of Chicago (now Legal Aid Chicago), where I provided civil legal services to people living in poverty.

I earned my law degree from Columbia University School of Law, in New York, and my Bachelor of Arts degree at New York University. After law school, I had two federal clerkships for the Honorable Carolyn Dineen King, then-Chief Judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, and the Honorable Robert P. Patterson, Jr., U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.

I am a mother of two and an active contributor to the community in my private life. I am currently serving my second 3-year term as a Director of the Board of High Jump, an organization providing educational opportunities to low-income middle school students. I have volunteered for community organizations such as the Ark Food Pantry, the Illinois Judges Association’s in-school programs, and Stand Up For Kids Chicago, an organization fighting youth homelessness. I also have worked with the Interrupters, an anti-violence organization, and am a supporter of the Jason Foundation, a nationwide not-for-profit dedicated to youth suicide awareness and prevention.

Every day, I bring to the bench a strong, well-rounded background of legal and judicial experience. I have broad substantive expertise as a result of the wide range of matters I have handled during my 25-year career. I love being a judge, and it would be an honor to continue serving the public in that capacity for years to come.

No comments: