Thursday, June 16, 2022

Michael Weaver: In his own words

Michael Weaver is a candidate for the countywide Lynch vacancy. His punch number is 179.
I was born in Bondville, Vermont -- a town of about 500 people. My parents were innkeepers, who taught me compassion and hard work are vital qualities in life. In addition, being a gay man, I know first-hand that too many people face discrimination, prejudice, and violence simply because of who they are. As a result, when I became a lawyer, I focused on pro bono work in order to help individuals, families, and my community achieve success and justice.

I seek to serve as a judge in order to continue providing access to justice. For the majority of people, going to court is usually stressful and a new experience. As a judge, I will continue to be aware of the impact of my words and conduct when managing my courtroom and greatly appreciate the significant power my legal decisions have on individuals. As a mentor once said to me, which I believe is correct, true power requires modesty and empathy, not force or coercion.

As a partner at McDermott Will & Emery, I address, on a daily basis, complex legal issues. I have significant trial and appellate experience involving a wide assortment of complex matters in courts across the country. Given my experience, I am well prepared to consider, evaluate, and decide a broad range of legal issues. At the same time, I serve as the Pro Bono Litigation Partner where I cultivate and enhance pro bono litigation opportunities available to the Firm’s attorneys in a wide array of substantive areas. I spent many years working with the non-profit Family Defense Center (n/k/a Ascend Justice), which provides access to justice for families in the child welfare system through direct representation and policy advocacy. In addition to serving on the Board, including as Board President for four years, I provided pro bono representation to families throughout Cook County facing DCFS investigations and indicated findings. I also organized a legal clinic for LGBTQ+ individuals with the Center on Halsted and the Broadway Youth Center of Howard Brown.

I previously served as the Partner-in-Charge for the LGBTQ+ Diversity and Inclusion Committee at McDermott. In 2019, I was a finalist for LGBT+ Equality Lawyer of the Year by Chambers and Partners. I was also named to the inaugural list of Crain’s Chicago Business Notable LGBTQ Executives in 2018 as well as a “Rising Star” by the Minority Corporate Counsel Association’s Diversity & The Bar in 2015.

Just as important as my legal acumen, my colleagues, and opposing counsel, would report that I approach my work with a high level of integrity; a meticulous attention to detail; and with an approachable, rational demeanor. As the Illinois State Bar Association found: “[Mike] is regarded by fellow attorneys as possessing exceptional legal skills, and being very inclusive and even keeled, with high integrity.”

Prior to joining McDermott, I served as a law clerk for Chief Justice F. Michael Kruse and Associate Justice Lyle L. Richmond of the High Court of American Samoa. I earned my law degree at Loyola University Chicago School of Law (cum laude). While in law school, I served as the Executive Editor for Student Articles for the Loyola Law Journal and a Philip H. Corboy Fellow in Trial Advocacy. In addition, I interned for three federal judges: Judge William J. Hibbler, Judge Ronald A. Guzman, and Judge Ann Claire Williams.

Before law school, I worked in higher education administration and I obtained a Master of Arts in Higher Education Administration and Human Resource Development from the George Washington University. I also have a Bachelor of Arts in International Affairs from the George Washington University.

I have been found Highly Recommended, Qualified or Recommended by all thirteen bar associations. Among others, I have been endorsed by the Cook County Democratic Party, the Chicago Federation of Labor, the LGBTQ+ Victory Fund, and personalPAC.

I ask for your vote – Michael Weaver for Circuit Court Judge, Lynch Vacancy, Punch No. 179.

To learn more, please visit my campaign website at www.michaelweaverforjudge.com.

No comments: