Thursday, June 23, 2022

Time to start looking for palm cards. I'll start.

The last weekend of early voting is almost here and "In-Person Voting Day" (as I've seen it called elsewhere on the Intertubes) is Tuesday, June 28, on Mel Brooks' 96th birthday.

So it's time to find out who's on the all-important palm cards.

People are sending stuff to me -- you can, too, at jackleyhane@yahoo.com -- so I'll start with these two that I've received in the last couple of days.

These really aren't palm cards. They're too big. This one, from the Democratic Party of Evanston, is on the group's website (and, yes, the red "ink" circles are on the original):
No real news value readily apparent here -- the entire Cook County Democratic Party judicial slate is endorsed on this card -- as one would expect, right? -- but check out the fine print: "Recommendations are from Evanston Democratic Committeeman Eamon Kelly, DPOE did not endorse in most county and judicial races." FWIW has confirmed with Kelly that all of the judicial candidates are his recommendations. Kelly also confirmed that the 9th Subcircuit committeemen never made endorsements in the two subcircuit races.

But, formal endorsements or not, Barry Goldberg and Sanjay Tailor are on the DPOE card. With a red ink circle, no less.

Goldberg and Tailor fared well in New Trier Township as well. That's about the only news value I can glean from the New Trier endorsement sheet -- but here it is, complete with a QR code, no less, for soliciting donations:
If you've recieved some potentially newsworthy mailers or palm cards when you've gone for early voting, please send them to me. However, don't try and leave anonymous comments about who got left off of whose card. It's not that I don't believe you, Person-Who-Won't-Even-Disclose-Your-Own-Name; naturally, if you're an FWIW reader, I am fully prepared to accept that you are a person of sterling character. But I don't want to report what I can't source. Thanks.

No comments: