Thursday, January 17, 2008

John J. "Jack" Murphy: In his own words

John J. “Jack” Murphy is a candidate for the countywide Nowicki vacancy.

My career as an attorney, spanning 33 years, has been devoted to public service.

While in law school, Supreme Court Justice William Douglas spoke to my school. In his gravely voice, he urged us to “reject the golden gravy train of money" that could come our way with our law school diplomas. He counseled us to consider a career in public service, using our law school education to make our society a better place.

I spent 20 years in the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office. For eight years, a prosecuted criminals in countless misdemeanor and felony cases. I also served in the State’s Attorney’s Civil Bureau, as supervisor of the Labor and Employment Unit, representing Cook County officials in civil litigation in state and federal courts.

I currently work at a law firm that represents hundreds of public school districts throughout Illinois.

I have served our community. Two examples: I am presently a board member of Glenview School District # 34. And, for over 20 years, I have been associated with a non-profit agency in Chicago’s Austin community that teaches drug, alcohol, and HIV prevention.

I am a teacher: I have been an Adjunct Professor of Law at IIT - Chicago Kent Law School.

I am proud of the ratings my fellow lawyers have bestowed on me. The Chicago Council of Lawyers said that I had “excellent legal ability and temperament” and that my “integrity is unquestioned.” I am “highly recommended” by the Woman’s Bar Association of Illinois, the Decalogue Society, and the Illinois State Bar Association. Other bar associations have similarly found me qualified and recommended.

My commitment to public service was nourished by my family while I growing up on the South Side of Chicago. My father, a busdriver, and my mother, a homemaker, made sure all eight of their children graduated from college. My siblings all went on to some form of public service -- in religious orders, the Public Guardian’s Office, the judiciary, and the Juvenile Detention Center.

I believe that my experience has prepared me for my greatest challenge yet -- to sit and judge my fellow citizens. I believe that I would be a fair, honest, and compassionate judge, who would dispense justice as well as I know how. I like to believe that, as Justice Douglas urged, I would be contributing to making our society a better place.

Please Punch 99 on February 5th for JOHN J. “JACK” MURPHY

No comments: