Monday, March 02, 2020

Keely Patricia Hillison: In her own words

Keely Patricia Hillison is a candidate for the countywide Murphy Gorman vacancy. Her punch number is 210.


I am the candidate with civil litigation experience, and plenty of it. I worked for thirty years as an associate and then partner at the Parrillo Weiss law firm in Chicago before launching my own law firm, Keely Hillison Law LLC, in which I continue my substantial civil litigation practice.

I have a unique combination of trial court, appellate court, and arbitration experience. For thirty plus years, I have worked in courtrooms on a daily basis, both downtown and at suburban courthouses, learning and practicing the rules of evidence and rules of civil procedure along the way. My experience includes dozens of jury and non-jury trials and hundreds of mandatory arbitration hearings in personal injury, property damage, insurance coverage and contract cases. For almost twenty years, I have also served as an arbitrator of mandatory arbitration hearings in the Circuit Court of Cook County, presiding at evidentiary hearings and making the same types of rulings that judges make.

I have briefed hundreds of appeals and have argued appeals in the Supreme Court of Illinois, the Appellate Court of Illinois, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit. I have researched and written about many legal issues which judges and attorneys encounter during trials but seldom have time to research in depth. The knowledge and skills I have acquired through working on so many appeals will help me to apply the law correctly and impartially as a judge.

I represent plaintiffs and defendants, individuals and companies, and as a judge I will apply the law fairly and impartially to all, based upon the admissible evidence. Having been a personal injury plaintiff myself, I appreciate how much the lives of real people depend on the proper functioning of the court system and will strive to run a courtroom efficiently and effectively.

I am a mentor to new attorneys through a Chicago Bar Association program. I have served the Appellate Lawyers Association as co-chair of the Moot Court Committee, co-chair of the Sponsorship Committee, Member of the Board of Directors, and Moot Court Judge. I am also a proud member of the Women's Bar Association of Illinois.

I grew up in Cook County and raised my children here, too, volunteering with schools, Girl Scouts, and Boy Scouts. My daughter now teaches English to high school students, and my son volunteers with me at a local animal shelter. My husband is an attorney in Chicago, and we live in Western Springs.

Raising a son with special needs has taught me so much. Above all, I learned to be calm, patient, practical and respectful with everyone, even, and especially, in difficult situations. Between my experience at home and my experience at work, I am prepared to deal with anyone or anything I may encounter as a judge and to do so fairly, courteously and effectively. Throughout my thirty years of courtroom experience, I have observed many judges in action. I have seen what works and what doesn't work in a courtroom. I have acquired incomparable knowledge and skills, which have served my clients well and will help me to serve
the people of Cook County and Illinois as a judge. I have the knowledge, experience, integrity, patience and temperament to be a good judge.

---------------------------------------
Back to "Start here for the most complete information about every 2020 Cook County judicial race"

No comments: