Tuesday, March 03, 2020

Chris Stacey: In his own words

Chris Stacey is a candidate for the countywide Mason vacancy. His punch number is 201.


WHY I WANT TO BE JUDGE

I have spent legal career as a trial lawyer in civil practice. Outside my practice I have volunteered in the community is specific ways that make me uniquely qualified to serve a diverse county like Cook.

Though I trust that my representation of clients has made their lives better, I now seek to use my legal experience to impact a broader community. I have realized that my strongest skill set, experience and temperament seem to converge into the position of judge. It is the best way I can use what I have learned to serve the public. Also, a judge once told me that his job was “to get up every morning, be fair, and do right by people”. That resonates with me. Finally, my interest in the judiciary first stems from my work as an extern federal judicial law clerk to the Honorable Charles P. Kocoras nearly 40 years ago.

WHY I AM THE BEST SUITED FOR THE BENCH COMPARED TO MY OPPONENTS

I have the most experience compared to any of my opponents. I built my practice over 37 years successfully representing people in the court room in serious personal injury, wrongful death, product liability and medical malpractice cases. Lawyers who practice in transactional, non-litigation cases have also retained me to represent their clients when they end up in court, including in the areas of bankruptcy, copyright, complex commercial and fraud litigation and probate disputes. I have tried cases in both state and federal court and have also argued cases in the Illinois Appellate Court and Illinois Supreme Court.

I am the most qualified candidate in my race. First, I am the only candidate in my race to have been rated “highly qualified” by the Chicago Bar Association and also found “qualified” or “recommended” by each and every one of the other bar association that rate judicial candidates. The Chicago Tribune noted that fact when it endorsed me over my opponents. Second, the committee in support of my candidacy (See Committee on my web page, www.staceyforjudge.com) includes many prominent litigators and former judges who care deeply about having a quality judiciary. These things show that those in the best position to know – other lawyers and judges with an interest in a quality judiciary – have high confidence in my qualifications to be judge.

My community service makes me uniquely qualified in my race. Three decades of community involvement demonstrate that I am a well-rounded person with detailed pattern of lifetime service to the community and a commitment to help better the lives of a diverse group of people. These unique experiences have helped me better understand people who have different backgrounds from myself and I can take that with me to the bench.

I spent 18 years on the Board of The Cabrini Green Legal Aid clinic, which has brought access to justice to the most marginalized people in our community in the area of criminal law, criminal records, housing and family law.

Prior to that, I spent a decade both doing field work on the ground and on the advisory board of World Relief, International, Chicago Office, assisting vulnerable refugees, asylum seekers and other immigrants from Africa, Asia, the Middle East and Central America seek a new and better life in America after fleeing serious conditions in their countries of origin. The field work included housing families in my own home until being able to get on their feet in their own apartments, helping navigate the complexities of the Cook County hospital system for sick refugees, and raising support and assisting in the furnishing of their new apartments in Chicago.

I have committed many years to safe and environmentally sound transportation, serving on the advisory board to the Active Transportation Alliance and received its Volunteer of the Year Award in 2011 in part for my contribution to developing a crash support program for bicyclists.

I have served on the board and in the field as a Retreat Staff Volunteer of The Crucible Project, which promotes men’s emotional health and aims to interrupt violent and other destructive behavior in men.

I travelled to Zambia, Africa with International Vision Volunteers, helping eye surgeons literally give sight to the blind. I oversaw crowd control, assisted surgeons in operating rooms, performed administrative and record keeping work and comforted patients.

I was elected to the Thomas J. Waters Local School Council for three years.

I spent decade working with Chart (Chicago Artists) a non-profit artist group promoting the relationship between spirituality and the arts. I am a musician, singer and songwriter, and have performed improv comedy at various venues in Chicago.

I am married and raised four children.

MY COMMITMENT

In approaching cases, I will work hard to know the law, study all lawyer submissions, and be decisive. I will follow the law and not legislate from the trial bench. I will respect everyone at all times in and out of the courtroom, both because it is right and because it will inspire confidence in the judiciary. I will listen and understand the circumstances surrounding the case and temper all decisions with compassion and human decency. I believe in equal justice for all.

---------------------------------------
Back to "Start here for the most complete information about every 2020 Cook County judicial race"

No comments: