Sunday, February 03, 2008

Joan Ellen Smuda: In her own words

Joan Ellen Smuda is a candidate for the Pucinski vacancy in the 10th Judicial Subcircuit.

I was born and raised on Chicago’s North Side. Dad was a machinist. Mom worked in a factory that made knit hats. She rose through the ranks and became forelady, a position of which she was very proud.

As a young adult, I joined everything from Girl Scouts to my church’s school board. I also supervised neighborhood athletic leagues. Young people often met in my living room. I remain active in groups like the Illinois State Bar Association and the Polish American Police Association. My husband and I live in Norwood Park, a mile or so from the home where his parents raised him and where they still live.

I was first in my family to attend college. I am a graduate of DePaul University and its College of Law. In 1978, I was admitted to practice law in Illinois. Since then, I have worked in state trial and federal courts throughout Northern Illinois. My legal career always has involved real life issues affecting families and small businesses.

I already have proven that I can be a good judge. A few years ago, the Illinois Supreme Court chose me on merit to be a judge. I presided over trials every day. Cook County Court Watchers observed that I “exhibited…authority,” treated “each party respectfully and was very attentive.” They found me “very down-to-earth” while making “explanations so that anyone could understand.”

When my term as judge expired, I worked as an Administrator for the Clerk of the Circuit Court of Cook County. I also served as the first woman General Counsel of the Polish Roman Catholic Union, one of largest and most established national fraternal organizations in the United States.

Currently, I am an Assistant Attorney General of Illinois. Everyday, I represent you when I recover money that others legally owe the State. Every time that I win in court, it means that you and I won’t have to pay more than our fair share of taxes to pick up someone else’s part. This year, the Chicago Council of Lawyers called me, “a ‘go to person…on legal matters” and “exceptionally knowledgeable” in my legal field.

My experience in the law goes further than being an attorney and a judge. I also have been a witness in a criminal case and a juror on a murder trial. I have sat with others who testified and know how courts might confuse or intimidate anyone unfamiliar with the system. I heard first-hand how fellow jurors can view a judge, prosecutors and defense attorneys.

I want to serve again as judge. I hope my well-rounded legal and practical experience can provide fair and well-reasoned justice. Every court case affects someone’s life. Both sides deserve equal regard. The process should not bog down and delay people’s lives. A judge should make sure each result is fair, prompt and clear.

For more information, please see www.smudaforjudge.com.

I would appreciate your vote for Circuit Court Judge, 10th Subcircuit (Pucinski Vacancy).

Please vote for Joan Ellen Smuda - #116.

2 comments:

fedup dem said...

Could someone investigate the Chicago Bar Association to find out why those bozos rated Judge Smuda "Not Qualified"? The CBA claimed Smuda lacked the experience to serve as a judge, a laughable if not asinine B.S. excuse if I ever heard one.

To me, it seems the CBA is just assisting those Democratic Party leaders who are intent on placing their cronies on the bench in this Polish-American subcircuit, at the continued expense of the Polish-American community.

Ernest said...

Joan Smuda is an outstanding jurist with impeccable credentials. She'll always have my vote.