Friday, February 16, 2018

LiUNA announces endorsements in Cook County judicial races

The Construction & General Laborers District Council of Chicago & Vicinity (LiUNA) has announced its endorsements for the upcoming primary, including endorsements in almost all Cook County judicial races. (Click here for the complete endorsement list in .pdf form).

The Laborers have followed the Chicago Federation of Labor endorsements down the line. Thus, like the CFL, the Laborers made no endorsement for the late-opening Valarie Turner vacancy in the 2nd Subcircuit, for the Maki vacancy in the 12th Subcircuit, or for any of the 13th Subcircuit vacancies.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
NB: I would like to include as many union endorsements as I can here. However, my problem in each election cycle is the same: Campaigns are quick to tell me that their candidate has been endorsed by the Butchers, Bakers and Candlestickmakers -- but I have a hard time getting a complete endorsement list from anyone. Many unions don't have updated websites or don't post endorsements if they do. I won't publish a union's endorsement of Smith unless I can get a list of all judicial endorsements made by that same group from some competent source.

In the past, when I've gotten complete lists, the results are sometimes verrrry interesting: Once, a union 'endorsed' nearly every judicial candidate in a crowded race. Other times, a union has endorsed Candidate A -- and it turns out that this was the only endorsement made, mainly because of some personal relationship between Candidate A and one or more officers of the local making the endorsement.

Readers, you can help me out by sending me endorsement lists to jackleyhane@yahoo.com or by leaving a comment here. Thanks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So what.