Monday, February 05, 2018

Scott J. Frankel: In his own words

Scott J. Frankel is a candidate for the Kennedy vacancy in the 11th Subcircuit. His punch number is 152.


I have been rated “Highly Qualified” by the Chicago Bar Association, and I believe that I am extremely well-qualified to hold the office of Judge of the Circuit Court of Cook County. Since graduating law school. I have worked in a large corporate law firm, the Cook County Public Defender’s Office and as a private attorney in a two-person law firm. I have substantial trial experience involving criminal as well as civil matters.

I graduated from Ohio State Law School with Honors, and was Editor-in Chief of the Ohio State Law Journal. I began my legal career as a law clerk for U.S. District Court Judge David S. Porter in the Southern District of Ohio and was able to view the workings of a Federal courtroom. After the clerkship I joined the law firm Mayer Brown and Platt as an associate. At Mayer Brown, I participated in litigating complex commercial disputes as well as a variety of smaller matters. I prepared and argued motions to dismiss and motions for summary judgment, prepared written discovery and participated in depositions.

After Mayer Brown, I changed paths and joined the Cook County Public Defender’s Office where I handled misdemeanors and felonies. I have been in private practice since 1992, handling retained and appointed matters in Federal and State courts.

In private practice, I have been lead counsel in the most complex matters litigated in criminal court, including RICO gang cases, capital murder cases, and fraud cases involving tens of millions of dollars in alleged losses. In addition, I have handled many less complex matters including traffic cases and misdemeanors. In addition to trial work, I have handled post-conviction matters, federal habeas corpus cases, appeals to the Illinois Appellate Court and appeals to the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals. I have handled two matters that were appealed to the Illinois Supreme Court, an appeal in a capital post-conviction petition, and a forgery matter. Both Supreme Court cases resulted in victories for my clients. I have also handled or had involvement in a variety of civil litigation matters, including civil rights cases.

I therefore have substantial experience in Federal and State courts, in criminal law and civil law. I have appeared in multiple federal courthouses, including the Northern District of Illinois, the Northern District of Indiana, and the Central District of Illinois, among others. In State court I have appeared in every courthouse in Cook County, including the Daley Center. I have also handled matters outside Cook County, including in DuPage, McHenry and Kane counties as well as Livingston County and McClean County. I have appeared before hearing officers in town halls, and recently represented a small business in a license matter before a panel of the Oak Park Village Board of Trustees.

I live in the diverse community of Oak Park, where my children attended public schools. I have been active in my community, and I currently volunteer with Housing Forward, preparing and distributing lunches to homeless individuals.

I have a deep perspective and broad frame of reference for understanding how courtrooms operate. I have observed many judges and fully appreciate the skill, patience and courtesy required to be a successful judge. My experiences have given me a deep reverence for the courtroom and the justice system. Because I have represented individuals in so many different courtrooms and such a variety of cases, I understand that every decision and ruling has the potential to profoundly affect a person’s life. For all these reasons, I believe that I am highly qualified to be a judge.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Click here to return to Organizing the Data: 11th Subcircuit - Kennedy Vacancy

No comments: