Friday, January 22, 2016

Marc Martin: In his own words

Judge Marc Martin is a candidate for the Kelly vacancy in the 11th Subcircuit.


The Cook County criminal justice system is in crisis. With recent cutbacks, the Cook County Jail has become a leading service provider for the mentally ill, the poor and those with substance abuse issues. My background and experience make me uniquely positioned to find fair and just solutions to these problems.

I have been around courtrooms all of my life. As a child, I sometimes accompanied my father, then a Cook County Assistant State’s Attorney, to court. As a teenager, I worked in his Chicago law office. The Clerk of the Circuit Court of Cook County employed me as Deputy Clerk at Traffic Court and the Criminal Division, while I attended college. I had the honor of working as a courtroom clerk for the Honorable Roger J. Kiley, Jr., and learned as much about the law in that courtroom as I did in law school.

I graduated magna cum laude from Loyola University School of Law, where I was on the National Trial Team, and an Executive Editor of the Law Review.

I spent over 27 years practicing law in Chicago, defending individuals from all walks of life in all types of criminal cases. I had the privilege of working with some of the greatest trial lawyers in Chicago. I also handled civil forfeiture cases and appeals. I was named in Best Lawyers in America for 14 years, and in the Top 10 Criminal Defense Lawyers in Illinois by Leading Lawyers.

Despite being involved in many high profile cases, I never participated in grandstanding. While I tried dozens of jury trials, I am proudest of my appellate work. I handled over 100 appeals, and personally argued in the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals over 50 times. I once obtained three reversals in the span of one week.

The Illinois Supreme Court and the Seventh Circuit Executive Committee both appointed me to serve on their jury instruction committees.

In April 2014, the Illinois Supreme Court appointed me to a judicial vacancy. I have come to love the job, and public service. I am seeking to retain my position in 2016 Democratic primary.

As a judge, I have excelled. I have developed model guidelines to ensure fair and efficient resolution of criminal cases. I have presided over the felony call in the Third Municipal District – an accomplishment for a relatively young judge. I also have presided over jury trials, am trained in the new IOS system for felony cases, and have issued over a dozen written opinions – a rarity for a Circuit Court Judge presiding over high volume calls.

Everyone in my courtroom is treated with dignity. I am respected by both prosecuting and defense attorneys for my fair handling of cases, low-key temperament, efficiency, knowledge of the law and integrity.

The Chicago Bar Association has found me “Highly Qualified.” Each Bar Association in the Alliance of Bar Associations has found me “Highly Recommended,” “Qualified,” or “Recommended.” I have no negative bar ratings.

The Cook County Democratic Party’s 11th Subcircuit Judicial Endorsement Committee, the Chicago Federation of Labor, an affiliation of over 300 labor unions, and others have endorsed my candidacy.

My track record as a Judge, legal background and experience make me very well qualified to continue serving as a Cook County Circuit Court Judge. Thank you for taking the time to educate yourself on an important judicial race. Full information about my candidacy can be found at www.judgemartin.com.

No comments: