Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Brian J. O'Hara: In his own words

Brian J. O'Hara is a candidate for the countywide Karnezis vacancy.


I am a lifelong resident of Cook County where I’ve been practicing law for over 35 years. In my practice, I’ve represented thousands of ordinary people and appeared before many judges. I am proud of my service to the public, especially when it comes to helping people rebuild their families. I am an advocate to get services needed by children involved in juvenile court cases and team building activities for at-risk youth in alternative schools. Regardless of a person’s status in life, I will always serve with fairness and justice. Please vote for me for Cook County judge in the March 15th Democratic primary elections. Punch 218!

Preparing for my Career. I grew up in west suburban Hillside and attended Proviso West High School where I was Vice-President (junior year) and President (senior) of the Student Council. I studied Political Science and Sociology with a minor in Urban Ethnic Studies at Loyola on a scholarship. During my second year at Northwestern Law School, I worked for the Legal Assistance Foundation of Chicago as a Rule 711 student lawyer representing clients in court. A 1980 Northwestern Law School graduate, I’ve always been inspired by the law school’s talented faculty and student body.

Career Experience. After Northwestern, I worked at Arnold & Kadjan, focusing on Employment Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) fringe benefit cases. In 1987, I started my practice in River Forest representing people in the areas of real estate, estates, wills, small business counsel, misdemeanors, landlord/tenant, and civil trials. In 1989, I was accepted to the Chicago Bar Association Conflict Panel at the Cook County Juvenile Court. Since then, I’ve been appointed to represent indigent parents, children, guardians, and foster parents in Child Protection and Juvenile Justice cases addressing children’s placement and their best interests. I’ve advocated in hundreds of hearings involving child custody, adjudication of wardship, permanency planning, delinquency proceedings, and termination of parental rights.

Causes that Matter. I believe that all of us who can, have a responsibility to volunteer and share. For 20 years, I’ve worked with the Chicago Area Alternative Education League (CAAEL), a charity that provides intramural activities for at-risk youth in alternative schools. As a member of Loyola Stritch School of Medicine and Northwestern Feinberg School animal research, Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC), I’ve worked to assure that medical animal research is limited and humane. As my continuing support to Northwestern and the law profession, I help law students by judging at Northwestern’s Moot Court programs. I’ve supported charitable organizations including Misericordia, the Parkinson Foundation, the Ray Graham Foundation, and the Sheridan Carroll Food Pantry.

I’ve practiced law in Cook County for 35 years, advocated for people, especially children, who need the most services, and have compassion and respect for the public and the law. It would be an honor to serve as a judge in Cook County where I was born and raised. Punch 218 to vote for me in the upcoming March 15th Democratic primary elections so I can be of further service to you.

1 comment:

chuck said...

I knew Brian as a senior in high school. We competed for the student council president position.Though we were diametrically opposed on most subjects I must say that he commanded my respect as both a gracious winner and extraordinary class leader. We have not communicated for over 40 years but as a young man he was fair, cordial, and consistent. I can only believe that he is equally capable today.