Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Raymond W. Mitchell: In his own words

Raymond W. Mitchell is a candidate for the Harris vacancy on the Illinois Appellate Court. His punch number is 154.
I want to thank Jack Leyhane and you -- the readers of For What It’s Worth -- for considering my qualifications for the Illinois Appellate Court (Harris Vacancy). This campaign has reminded me just how deeply I am indebted to my family, friends and colleagues. My gratitude for the trust and confidence others have placed in me underscores in my mind the personal modesty that distinguishes the role of the judge. The inscription over the door in the courtroom in the Illinois Supreme Court reads, “Audi Alteram Partem” — “Hear the other side.” Those words serve as a reminder of the humility that is inherent in the judicial function.

For the last 14 years, I have served on the Circuit Court of Cook County in the Commercial Section of the Law Division and the General Chancery Division—two of the most demanding assignments. I have conducted innumerable bench and jury trials, settlement conferences and hearings, and I have written over 1,000 opinions. No other candidate in this race has judicial experience of comparable breadth and depth.

Based on my years of judicial service, the leading bar associations, including the Chicago Bar Association, the Chicago Council of Lawyers, and the Illinois State Bar Association, have given me their very highest ratings. The Council noted that I am reported to be “exceptionably knowledgeable about legal doctrines, principles, and procedure,” “respectful to all” and “exceptionally hard working, with a strong commitment to professionalism.” Equally noteworthy, while finding me “Highly Qualified,” the Illinois State Bar Association has found my two opponents “Not Qualified.”

Before going on the bench, I was a partner at Winston & Strawn LLP where I specialized in appeals. I briefed appeals in state and federal reviewing courts across the country, and I have argued appeals in the Illinois Supreme Court, Illinois Appellate Court and the United States Court of Appeals. I have also taught appellate advocacy and presented and published on topics related to appeals.

For me, it is a great honor to serve as a judge, and I am working hard to let the voters know about my qualifications and experience. I am proud to have earned endorsements from, among others, the Illinois AFL-CIO, the Chicago Federation of Labor and its 300 affiliated unions, the Chicago Fraternal Order of Police, the Chicago Firefighters’ Union and the Illinois Federation of Teachers.

The people of Cook County deserve highly qualified and hardworking judges with integrity. I have no agenda other than to be a good judge. If I am elected to the Appellate Court, I promise to continue to be a good judge and to be worthy of that great trust that you have placed in me. For all of you who care about electing good judges, I ask for your support and your vote on election day.

To learn more, please visit my campaign website at ElectJudgeMitchell.com.

No comments: