Monday, November 02, 2020

A true tale of two text messages -- wait for the punchline

I live in the 20th House District, so my mailbox has been overflowing with mailings in the Darbro-Stephens race. We've received multiple pieces on several days -- pro-Dabro pieces, anti-Dabro pieces, pro-Stephens pieces, anti-Stephens pieces -- I think our one-day record was five pieces.

But even if you don't have a hotly-contested legislative race in your home district, we are all subject to the never ending plague of commercials any time you dare to turn on the TV. And, of course, we are all bombarded with phone calls and text messages urging your support for this candidate or that one. But, this past weekend, I received two text messages about the judicial retention election that I think are worth sharing.

It took all my techno-skills to transfer the teeny tiny graphic from my cell phone to the screen before you. And it wasn't printed at full width even there. Millennials must have keen eyesight. Members of Gen Z (should we be calling them "Zoomers" now?) also.

The text accompanying this micro-graphic read as follows:

Hi Francis, this is the final weekend to vote early! Find your nearest location here and be sure to vote against Republican Judge Michael Toomin, #206: https://chicagoelections.gov/en/early-voting.html

This text was received Friday evening.

Another text came in Saturday morning. It read:

Hi Francis, don't let Trump or any politician mess w/ our judicial system. VOTE YES to retain qualifed judges including Michael Toomin. VOTE YES!
Txt9tostop

Big deal, you say. Everyone gets texts on both sides of every issue, for and against every candidate. And, of course, I would ordinarily agree with you on that. Ordinarily.

But this is different. Promise.

And the reason why this is so, is that both of these texts came from the same number. I don't think I've ever seen that before. Capitalism in action.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not thrilled that Judge Toomin has authorized his retention campaign to send out text messages which falsely suggest that Donald Trump is responsible for the campaign against him. It's dishonest. Judges are supposed to tell the truth. He knows that it isn't true.

Anonymous said...

47th Ward telling voters to dump Mahoney.

Eddie said...

Michelle Darbro will win. Democrats always win. (@_@)

Jack Leyhane said...

Maybe not, Eddie -- it looks like Stephens has won at this point.

Eddie said...

You're correct, Jack. Happily, I was wrong. (*_*)

There's still Martwick versus Beckman to be determined. ಠ﹏ಠ

I'm curious. Have all the Early Votes been counted? ಠ﹏ಠ

Surely, Vote By Mail (some are still traveling by postal mail) and Provisional Ballots haven't all been counted. What's up with these items? (@_@)

Eddie said...

What's Donald Stephens' winning theme song? (*_*)

Eddie said...

cx: Bradley Stephens

Eddie said...

The song is "I Go To Springfield", based on Peter Allen's "I Go To Rio". (θ‿θ)*\0/*