Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Michael J. Zink: In his own words

Michael J. Zink is a candidate for the 20th Subcircuit vacancy converted from the Associate Judgeship of Elizabeth Budzinski. His punch number is 162.
My name is Michael J. Zink and I am running for Circuit Court Judge in the 20th Judicial Subcircuit.

I am humbled that my candidacy has been endorsed by virtually every leading elected official in the 20th Subcircuit, including Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky, Congressman Mike Quigley, Illinois State Senate President Don Harmon, State Senator Sara Feigenholtz, State Senator Mike Simmons, State Representative Margaret Croke, State Representative Ann Williams, Alderperson Angela Clay, Alderperson Leni Manaa-Hoppenworth, Alderperson Matt Martin, Alderperson Bennett Lawson, Alderperson Timmy Knudsen, Committeeperson Maggie O’Keefe, Committeeperson Paul Rosenfeld, Committeeperson Harry Osterman, and Committeeperson Tom Tunney. I have also been endorsed by the Chicago Federation of Labor, Personal PAC, Local 134-International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, IVI-IPO, and the Coalition PAC. I am honored by this universal support of some of the greatest public servants of our time.

Currently an Equity Partner at the Law Offices of Starr, Bejgiert, Zink & Rowells, I have been in private practice for 19 years. My work involves litigation in real estate matters in nearly all of the civil divisions of the Cook County Circuit Court and in all 6 Districts of Cook County as well as other collar counties. Additionally, I have taught and moderated many courses for Mandatory Continuing Legal Education credit as well as non-MCLE legal courses for the knowledge of lay members of the community. I have likewise had many legal articles published, and I have been interviewed in the media many times regarding legal matters.

I have also held many bar association leadership roles. In the Illinois State Bar Association I served on multiple committees and councils including as Chair of the General Practice, Solo, and Small Firm Section Council, as a member of the Standing Committee on Judicial Evaluations for Cook County, and as a two-term elected member of the Assembly. At the Chicago Bar Association, among other roles I have served on the Real Property Law Committee and on the Nominating Committee. At the Advocates Society, I have served as President, as a member of the Board of Directors, and as Chair of the Steering Committee.

I have also engaged in extensive community leadership and service. As President of East Lake View Neighbors, one of Lakeview’s largest community organizations that includes Wrigleyville and one of our nation’s largest LGBTQ+ communities, I provided individuals an uncensored but respectful forum in which to educate my community about various legal topics and in which to facilitate communication between our community and its elected officials. I similarly held leadership roles in many other legal and community organizations and committees including the Illinois Supreme Court Commission on Access to Justice Forms Committee, the 44th Ward Community Directed Development Council, the Lake View Citizens Council, the Chicago Archdiocese, and the Housing Policy Committee for the Presidential Campaign of President Obama. I also have organized and engaged in a wide range of charity work for many years.

Public service is the driving force behind my candidacy. Driven by a dedicated work ethic, my devotion to public service has been at the forefront of all I have done my adult life. I firmly believe in the importance of rejecting the implicit bias that is rooted in our judicial system and of understanding the disproportionate impact of the judicial system on people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, and those facing poverty, addiction, and mental health issues. I believe that this approach would promote a legal system that operates equally for all, delivering justice and offering the opportunity for rehabilitation.

I am proud to have been found “Qualified” or “Recommended” by every bar association that has rated me. As my family life, career, charity work, and leadership roles span every ward of the 20th Subcircuit, those who vote for me will not only elect a qualified Judge but will also elect a true voice of our community.

You can learn more about my candidacy at https://www.zinkforjudge.com. I ask for your vote by punching #162 on the March 19, 2024 primary election Democratic ballot.

Very truly yours,

Michael J. Zink

No comments: