Wednesday, February 21, 2024

John Hock: In his own words

John Hock is a candidate for the 18th Subcircuit vacancy converted from the Associate Judgeship of James B. Linn. He is unopposed in the Democratic primary, but faces a Republican challenger in November.
Dear Voters,

My name is John Hock and I am running for judge in the new 18th Subcircuit of Cook County, which includes Des Plaines, Mount Prospect, most of Elk Grove Village, and parts of the surrounding communities. I am a devoted husband to my wife of over 15 years and father to two wonderful girls. My family and I have lived in Des Plaines for over 10 years and are involved in the community, volunteering with multiple organizations.

I come from a proud middle-class background, raised by two working parents – my mom a nurse and my dad a truck driver. They instilled in me the value of hard work and determination. I carry that with me every day, working hard, learning, and growing to meet my goals in life and my legal career.

I have been an attorney for over 15 years and have experience in both criminal and civil law. I am honored to be rated qualified or recommended by all the bar associations that have evaluated me. I am also proud to be endorsed by Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky, Illinois Senator Laura Murphy, the Chicago Federation of Labor, Personal PAC, and many others. As the father of two daughters, Personal PAC’s endorsement is very important to me as Illinois’ foremost reproductive rights organization.

I spent most of my career as a proud public servant. First as an assistant public defender, where I represented the most vulnerable members of our society, including people suffering from extreme poverty, drug addiction, and mental health issues. I also represented children in juvenile court and parents going through DCFS proceedings. Beyond the traditional adversarial court process and the many trials and hearings involved with it, I had the honor of representing veterans in a treatment court system, where I was part of a team devoted to providing the services necessary for a healthier life.

As a public defender, I have witnessed first-hand how terrifying it is for someone to walk into a courtroom and have no idea how his or her life will be affected by the process. I also learned how much depends on who the judge is sitting on the bench. Is that person thoughtful, compassionate, respectful? Will that person do his or her best to efficiently resolve the case, be fair and always try to do what is right? I always worked hard to make sure my clients’ rights were protected and that the cases progressed with integrity.

I am currently serving as a Cook County assistant state’s attorney and am part of a unit that only handles post-conviction cases, requiring constant review of the judicial system and whether a defendant’s constitutional rights were violated. I am in court almost everyday fighting to uphold lawful convictions and am also tasked with proceeding with other just results when appropriate. Serving as judge requires a similar measured approach to balance the rights of all sides of the justice system, victims, and the safety of the community.

With experience and a commitment to fairness and integrity, I am the best choice to serve in the new 18th Judicial Subcircuit. To learn more about my background, candidacy, and endorsements, please visit my website at johnhockforjudge.com.

Thank you,

John Hock

No comments: