Thursday, February 06, 2020

Michael B. Hyman: In his own words

Michael B. Hyman is a candidate for the Neville vacancy on the First District Appellate Court. His punch number is 174.


The Illinois State Supreme Court assigned me to the Appellate Court in 2013, and I now must stand for election to remain there. Before my assignment, I served on the Circuit Court. I was appointed in 2006 by Justice McMorrow, and then ran and won countywide in 2008.

Based on my experience, qualifications, and reputation, I earned “Highly Recommended” ratings from a diverse group of bar associations including the Chicago Bar Association, the Cook County Bar Association, the Lesbian and Gay Bar Association of Chicago, the Hispanic Bar Association, the Chicago Council of Lawyers, and the Illinois State Bar Association.

The diversity and breadth of these organizations speaks not only to my entire body of work throughout my career, but especially to my values and how they inform my decisions. Additionally, I have served in numerous leadership positions, including President of the Chicago Bar Association, Chair of the American Bar Association’s Coalition on Racial and Ethnic Justice, Chair of the Illinois Judicial Conference Strategic Planning Committee, president of a national legal writing association, and President of the Illinois Judges Association. For about a decade I’ve sat on the Illinois Judicial Ethics Committee. I graduated from Northwestern University’s Medill School of Journalism and Northwestern School of Law.

As an appellate justice, I have authored hundreds of decisions, mostly pertaining to criminal cases. Annually, I am among the justices with the most published opinions and dissents, the most oral arguments requested, and the most opinions. (I believe Rule 23 does a disservice to the law.)

My rulings ignore public sentiment, partisan politics, or ideology. Race, socio-economic class, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnicity, or other characteristics have no bearing on my rulings, unless relevant to case issues. Above all, what matters is that I fairly, fully, objectively, and impartially evaluate the facts, the law, the legal arguments, and the record of the proceedings, and treat litigants, attorneys, and my colleagues with dignity and respect. And I strive to explain my reasoning in plain English so anyone reading my decisions understands their basis, especially the losing party. Why? So the parties feel that justice has been done; otherwise, justice is merely an illusion.

I am concerned and committed to improving how justice is dispensed in our county. I am concerned and committed to improving the legal system so litigants and the public place their trust and confidence in us, without which the rule of law becomes a hollow incantation. I am concerned and committed to improve the quality of justice for the vulnerable, marginalized, and unrepresented. I am concerned and committed to providing legal assistance to more litigants. I am concerned and committed to educating the bench and bar about unconscious bias, and how to counter its influence. Most of all, however, I am concerned and committed to working to improve the criminal law system, especially as it relates to minorities. Over 70% of our caseload on the appellate court involves criminal cases.

For many years, I have taught classes for judges on judicial conduct and ethics, judicial decision-making, legal writing, and unconscious (implicit) bias. I frequently speak to groups of law students and lawyers on these and other topics. I am a prolific writer of articles on legal subjects (and the life and character of Abraham Lincoln), including a quarterly column in the Chicago Lawyer on legal history and in the Illinois Bar Journal on legal writing. I have served as editor-in-chief of the Chicago Bar Association’s flagship magazine, the CBA Record for about 20 years. All of this serves to make me a better judge.

I believe I’m the most qualified candidate for the Neville Vacancy. I have a demonstrated record of professionalism, of independent decision-making, and integrity and fairness; a record that has been recognized by my peers, and a record of which I am proud. But don’t just take it from me -- read what the Chicago Council of Lawyers said when they issued my candidacy a “Highly Qualified” rating:
Justice Hyman is considered to have excellent legal ability and is reported to be always prepared. He is reported to be an active and thoughtful during oral arguments. In addition to opinions, he has published extensively and is actively involved in court reform efforts. Respondents spoke highly of his professionalism and temperament. The Council finds him Highly Qualified for the Appellate Court.

---------------------------------------
Back to "Start here for the most complete information about every 2020 Cook County judicial race"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The best choice and the only choice for this race. Good luck Justice Hyman

Anonymous said...

Judge Hyman has written thoughtfully on the art of judging
he's worth a look

Anonymous said...

Funny how Jack flushed a negative, yet fair and civil, comment I made about Judge Hyman a week ago, but he publishes these two positive comments. What's going on Jack?

Jean Maclean Snyder said...

I worked with Judge Hyman some time ago, when I was editor-in-chief of the ABA Section of Litigation's magazine called Litigation Journal, and Judge Hyman had a similar post with the organization's newsletter called Litigation News. Then I saw that Judge Hyman was amazing, eloquent, innovative, and talented. His work on the bench has been like that too. Please vote for him - he won't disappoint.