Wednesday, February 05, 2020

Lorraine Mary Murphy: In her own words

Lorraine Mary Murphy is a candidate for the countywide Roti vacancy. Her punch number is 215.


My name is Lorraine Mary Murphy. Allow me to introduce myself and explain why I am the most qualified candidate in my race for Cook County Circuit Court Judge.

I am married and my husband Jim and I have two small children, Caitlin (4) and Jimmy (2). My interest in the law began shortly after I graduated from College with a Journalism degree. My first experiences included being an on-air reporter at an NBC affiliate in West Virginia and then working for CNN in Atlanta. As a reporter, I routinely witnessed the effects of crime and injustice. It was this experience that convinced me to attend Law School and begin a career of public service.

After graduation from Law School I worked briefly in the civil law before being accepted to the State’s Attorney’s Office, where I have been for over 16 years. As I have advanced in the Office, I have tried over 70 Felony Jury trials to verdict, 19 of which were murders. I have also tried hundreds of Bench Trials as well as Motions and other legal matters. During my career I have always conducted myself fairly and ethically.

Additionally, I will bring empathy to the bench based on my personal experience. I am a cancer survivor, having first been diagnosed and treated in my early twenties and then having a reoccurrence that required major surgeries and chemotherapy shortly after my son Jimmy was born. While I am hoping my health battles are behind me, I understand the suffering many of those appearing in court have experienced.

It is important to give back, and in that regard I am active in the community. I serve on the Board of Directors for the Reach Out Community Center located at 22nd and Troy not far from where I work at the Leighton Criminal Courthouse in Chicago. I am active in the planning and promoting of events and I mentor and chaperone the children during activities throughout the year. I am also actively involved in my neighborhood community association. I regularly attend meetings and events, and I organized and ran the children’s games, activities and prizes for our Fourth of July Picnic for the last three years. I routinely work with breast cancer charities and give support and speeches to students about my battle and how to handle such a life changing event at such a young age.

My approach to adjudication will bring fairness and consistency to the courtroom. For more information visit my website ElectLorraineMaryMurphy.com and my facebook page Elect Lorraine Mary Murphy or friend me on my personal facebook page Lorraine Mary Murphy.

---------------------------------------
Back to "Start here for the most complete information about every 2020 Cook County judicial race"

No comments: