Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Cristin Keely McDonald Duffy: In her own words

Cristin Keely McDonald Duffy is a candidate for the countywide Bellows vacancy. Her punch number is 182.


My name is Cristin Keely McDonald Duffy and I am running for the Bellow’s vacancy.

I have loved my career. For 23 years, I’ve been a Cook County State’s Attorney. I spent 14 years in the Criminal Division, including several years as a felony prosecutor, and 9 years in the Civil Division, where I am working on municipal and tax cases. I currently supervise 14 other attorneys and I am responsible for training all new hires in the Civil Division.

I am ready to further my public service by joining the judiciary. For most of my career, I have represented working men and women and advocated for them in the courtroom. I will dispense justice in a fair, even-keeled manner. I pride myself on remaining calm in tense courtroom proceedings, where people’s emotions run high.

Keen analytical and sound decision-making skills are critical to be an effective, respected judge. I have them. I am qualified to and interested in presiding over criminal or civil cases. Neither of my opponents have experience in both areas. One has been a career civil appellate lawyer. The other is a Public Defender with no civil experience.

The depth and breadth of my experience eclipses that of my opponents. I have tried hundreds of bench and jury trials. I have tried murder, sexual assault, domestic violence and many other criminal cases. I have also tried a variety of civil cases, including my signature civil trial where I won a multi-million-dollar verdict against the Chicago Bears, requiring the team to pay Cook County millions in unpaid taxes. The Chicago Tribune and the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin covered the verdict in front-page articles. I have written over 30 appeals and argued in the Illinois Appellate Court 14 times.

The bar associations have rated me higher than my opponents. I have been found highly qualified by the Chicago Bar Association (“CBA”), and highly recommended by two bar associations, the Decalogue Society and the Lesbian and Gay Bar Association of Chicago (LAGBAC). I was recommended or found qualified by the remaining bar associations. As part of its evaluation of me, the CBA wrote:
Cristin McDonald Duffy is "Highly Qualified" for the office of Circuit Court Judge.... Ms. Duffy is highly regarded for her knowledge of the law, legal experience, excellent temperament, and managerial skills.
I have been endorsed by numerous organizations, including the Independent Voters of Illinois-Independent Precinct Organization (IVI-IPO), the Fraternal Order of Police, Lodge # 7, the Chicago Fire Fighters Union, Local 2, the Communication Worker’s Union, the Plumber’s Union LU 130, and Rick Garcia, the Founder of Equality Illinois, among others.

I have a strong support system. When it came time to get on the ballot, I drew on a deep well of sound personal relationships. Over 100 friends, neighbors, professional colleagues, and family fanned out across the county, securing almost three times the needed signatures. I am still humbled by their help.

I graduated from Indiana University and Loyola University Law School. For nearly 20 years, my husband, a professional liability lawyer, and I have lived in River Forest with our three children. We are active in the community. We coach youth sports and volunteer at our local schools. We also volunteer and support various local charities, including the Oak Park River Forest Food Pantry, Hepzibah House, PADS Shelter, Ronald McDonald House, Misericordia, Ignite and Special Olympics.

To learn more about my candidacy, please visit DuffyforJudge2020.com. On March 17th, vote for Cristin Keely McDonald Duffy by punching No. 182!

---------------------------------------
Back to "Start here for the most complete information about every 2020 Cook County judicial race"

No comments: