Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Caroline Patricia Jamieson: In her own words

Updated February 26, 2020.

Caroline Patricia Jamieson was a candidate for the countywide C. Sheehan vacancy. She was removed from the ballot pursuant to an order of the Illinois Appellate Court. For more about that, please see this post.



“My name is” . . . is how many of these posts begin, but I’ll get back to that . . .

First, a little bit about my background. I graduated from DePaul College of Law in 1992. While in law school, I was an Editor of the Law Review, student taught Legal Writing, received American Jurisprudence Awards in Civil Procedure and Evidence, interned with a federal judge and the U.S. Attorney’s Office, published a law review article on intellectual property rights in Illinois, and graduated in the top 10% of my class.

I joined Querrey and Harrow in 1992, working on a wide variety of cases, including, premises, automobile, common carrier, medical malpractice, construction, insurance coverage, sexual harassment and professional liability cases. At Querrey, I learned how to manage a heavy caseload, how to try a case, how to think on my feet, and how to learn by doing. I also learned the value of other people's time and that being prepared is the best tool in any litigator’s toolbox.

In 1995, I joined the litigation department at Neal, Gerber & Eisenberg, where my practice included class action and mass tort multi-district federal litigation. I handled matters in state and federal court at both the trial and appellate levels. I handled intellectual property disputes, high-stakes commercial claims, products liability litigation, insurance coverage matters, legal professional malpractice litigation, and employment litigation. I learned how to manage large-scale litigation matters while still paying attention to every detail. My success at Neal Gerber, including a national record-setting jury verdict for an injured pedestrian, was recognized when I was named litigation partner there.

In 2010, I joined the firm of Sotos Law, where I am now a partner. My practice here consists of civil rights litigation, municipal law and appellate work in federal and state court, at both the trial and appellate levels. The appellate briefs have been about employment law, appellate procedure, civil rights and Constitutional claims. My last trial was less than 2 years ago and lasted 4 weeks in federal court. Handling these cases requires a deep understanding of civil, criminal and Constitutional law. My work here reinforces the notion that there are (at least) two sides to every story, even the ones which appear most one-sided.
Based on my experience, I am ready and well-prepared for a seat on the bench.

And as for my name . . . I was born Caroline Patricia Jamieson, almost 55 years ago. When I married fellow lawyer Kevin Golden 25 years ago, I took his last name, but I did not relinquish my right to use my birth name of almost 30 years. I practice law using both names – Jamieson and Golden. I am running for judge on my own merits – not as Kevin’s wife. We have come a long way since women were required to assume their husband’s names as a sign they were chattel; my identity of 30 years did not disappear when I married. Jamieson is my name, always has been, and I am entitled to use it.

Unfortunately, one of my opponents disagrees. Maura McMahon Zeller has attacked me for using my maiden name, calling it inherently deceptive. The opposition has suggested that I am using that name to hide the fact that in the past I have represented police officers who were found guilty of misconduct. Make no mistake about it, I do represent police officers, some of whom have been found guilty of misconduct, and a great many others who have not. And the officers are not my only clients, I also represent the municipalities who employ them, protecting the interests of the taxpayers who are ultimately paying the judgments against the officers. There is nothing to hide here.

Lawyers are not who we represent. Is a public defender or criminal defense lawyer guilty of the crimes of their clients? Is a corporate lawyer who defends his clients against fraud charges also guilty of fraud? I think not. In fact, to impugn the integrity of a lawyer based on the profession of or accusations against their clients is irresponsible and violates the Illinois rules of professional conduct for attorneys. See Rule 1.2(b) (representing a client does not constitute endorsement of the client’s activities).

On that note, I believe all persons, regardless of the allegations against them, are entitled to legal counsel. In fact, it is precisely those with the most serious allegations against them, that are in most need of competent legal counsel. Some of the greatest movements in our history started as unpopular causes and when we start picking and choosing only popular causes that are deserving of our services, we do a great disservice to the advancement of our society.

I believe I am the most qualified candidate for the Sheehan vacancy. But don’t just take it from me, based on my experience, qualifications, and reputation, I earned “Highly Qualified” ratings from the Chicago Bar Association, positive evaluations from all others, and the Chicago Tribune has said I “would be a fine judge.” I look forward to earning your vote on March 17, 2020.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

My name is Michael Patrick Jamieson. Caroline Patricia Jamieson is my daughter. She is honest, hardworking and smart. I agree with the Chicago Tribune that Carrie would make an excellent judge. Anybody who accuses her of being inherently deceptive is just itching for a fight.

Anonymous said...

Ahem. Let me be frank. I don’t like you and I won’t vote for you. It’s not because of your clients. You’re right, PD’s who represent rapists are not proponents of rape anymore than you advance police brutality. No. I don’t like your “name game” because you are trying to play the same stupid game that so many candidates try to monopolize on the Irish female supremacy that so many have tried successfully over the years. Zeller can pound sand too because she (and Don Harmon) are trying to play the name game too. But you’re right. Jamison is your real name. You obeyed the law. And the circuit judge you drew has the worst ballot name known to man and is still pissed that his wife has been thrown for the ballot twice in as many years. True justice will be for you to win the appeal, to have your name printed on the ballot, and then you and Zeller both lose. You, her and all of the other Irish gals who all crowded into the countywides thinking they would take out black men, black women, Latinx, etc. And to hell with Jill Rose Quinn too. But for your name, you have no game.

Anonymous said...

I am loathe to elaborate because the last time anyone wrote something that was perceived to be an attack on an Irish gal’s use of her last name, Jack imposed an moratorium on comments in the name of civility. So I will keep it clean. If that’s your maiden name, then you will be on the ballot. Shame on Harmon’s lackey because he is clearly playing games. And double shame on the judge who knocked you off because his bias on this issue is the worst kept secret in the county. His energy would be better spent getting better circulators for the inevitable third try for his wife’s judicial campaign. You probably are the most qualified, objectively, of the candidates. But this nonsense where the county elects people on Pavlovian responses to Irish last names breeds antipathy, resentment and distrust among the legal community and the public. So in many ways I hope you and Zeller both lose. It’s a lousy thing to say because my beef is more about the dolts and dunces who successfully played that game in the last 12 years than it is about you. Perhaps I will let it go in your case. In any event, I do hope you get on the ballot. Because your name is your name and you do seem to be following the rules. Shame on Harmon. And shame on his lackey too.

Anonymous said...

anyone has the right to object when you don't follow the rules

Anonymous said...

Does anyone here even know the "rules"? Looked at the statute? Why does a lawyer registered with the ARDC under one name get to run for judge under a different name? If you choose to change your name upon marriage (and it is a choice), you don't get to change it back on a whim. Has anyone here with a change of name tried to get a Real ID yet?

Anonymous said...

I don't understand the hatred of Irish surnames if women legally born of those names. I don't understand why such comments are allowed.

Anonymous said...

That's the point Anon 2/12/2020, she did play by the rules. People are engaging in misdirection and outright deceit, but it's not Ms. Jamieson-Golden. But that's ok, I know plenty of other Irish gals that can run against the puppet-mater's future judicial pets -- at ALL levels -- circuit, appellate and supreme. Yes, puppet-master. Some of your people are fairly obvious about their future plans. And while they lucked out in recent years, they will be getting a single A-list Emerald Isle lass as an opponent in 2022, 2024 and 2026. And everyone knows, Mary Kay Dawson can't beat an A-list Irish surname. That's why she hates soon-to-be Justice Carolyn Gallagher so much Puppet-master's new title has emboldened him to believe that he is the new power. But really, he is just another clown politician "leading" a morally and fiscally bankrupt state. If you are a circuit judge with appellate aspirations who lives in Oak Park, best dissociate yourself from puppet-master of MKD. They will drag you down and abandon you once you lose.

Anonymous said...

I am going to take a progressive approach on the Irish female thing. I intend to vote for McCarthy and Jamieson, but not the others that popped up this season. Some were clearly trying to run against minorities, capitalizing on racist campaign strategies. But McCarthy and Jamieson are different. They jumped into races AGAINST Irish gals. And let's face it, they are better qualified than many of their opponents and certainly better qualified than their Irish female counterparts. So kudos to them. Surely there are many people who will disagree with this opinion, but even in Trump's American, not all Irish are racists and not all non-Irish are victims or oppressed.

Anonymous said...

Go on, Mr. Jamieson! Respect!

Anonymous said...

Anyone who files a frivolous objection has the responsibility of paying attorneys' fees . . . lackey.

Anonymous said...

Appellate Court affirmed the Circuit Court. 1-20-0218, 2020 IL App (1st) 2002 200218-U

Anonymous said...

Affirmed.

Anonymous said...

She followed the rules. She deserves to be on the ballot. And the Senate President should be careful because when Burke flips, there is no telling who will be indicted next.

Anonymous said...

I AM AN EXPERT ON ELECTION LAW. I PREDICT THE APPELLATE COURT WILL PUT HER BACK ON WITH A RULE 23 ORDER

Anonymous said...

Lifelong Lorraine Lynott changed her voter registration to Lorraine Lynott Murphy (her husband’s name), so the name game goes both ways for the Irish women or the women fortunate enough to marry someone with a good Irish ballot name. It’s a loophole we have to live with because to challenge it would be labeled an attack on women or Irish.

More bothersome than the name game is that one of these temporary Irish lasses was a dyed in the wool registered republican until very recently who backed the Tea Party and was a big proponent of Second Amendment rights (just not the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th or 14th).

Alas, on Election. Day (March 17th no less) Jeannine Pirro’s more conservative sister will run as a daughter of Hibernia with a faux Irish and Democratic pedigree that would put Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy to shame. In the end, the ethnicity doesn’t matter, it is the temporary embracing of long held Democratic Party values that bother me.

The moral of the story is look beyond the shamrocks and kelly green, a google search will tell you a lot more than the Alliance or palm card.

Anonymous said...

Decision affirming circuit court: https://courts.illinois.gov/R23_Orders/AppellateCourt/2020/1stDistrict/1200218_R23.pdf

Anonymous said...

Bertina Lampkin, again, on the right side of history. Remember, Bertina put RAHM on the ballot.

Albert said...

Jamieson is actually a Scottish surname, not Irish. Yeah she’s probably better off with it than with Golden but as a vote-getter it’s nowhere near the likes of Rhine-to-Fitzgerald or Spiwak-to-O’Malley or the other historically desperate attempts at self-Irish-ification.

She’ll get more of a bump from having bagged the top ballot spot than from the name choice—particularly with a McMahon in the same contest.

Anonymous said...

What about women using their divorced husband's surname, while running for political office or judge?

Jan Schakowsky's husband is Robert Creamer. She and Harvey Schakowsky are long time divorced. Her political career began with Creamer, not Schakowsky.

Like Schakowsky, Jan's maiden name, Danoff, is Jewish. I think, Schakowsky sounds more Jewish. Is she using it for Jewish votes? Probably so, because Creamer is Scottish/English.

Carol Moseley Braun's political career outlasted her marriage to Michael Braun. Was she seeking the German American vote? Probably not.