Monday, February 10, 2020

Megan Kathleen Mulay: In her own words

Megan Kathleen Mulay is a candidate for the countywide Larsen vacancy. Her punch number is 197.


My name is Megan Kathleen Mulay, nee Chaparro, and I’m a candidate for Cook County judge.

Why vote for me?
  • 20-year career prosecutor
  • Lifelong resident of Cook County, with strong and enduring ties to the south suburbs
  • Track record of fair, competent, compassionate and consistent jurisprudence
Why am I running?

It is more likely that me, you, family, friends, and neighbors will be affected by a decision a Circuit Court Judge has made than any other level of the judiciary. I am willing to keep serving the People by becoming a judge because I know I can be an effective, knowledgeable arbiter who will give the litigants before me the ability to be heard.

Being a candidate for judicial office is a new experience for me. Humbling, energizing, tiring, rewarding, it’s run the gamut of so many emotions. Ultimately, what this experience has connected to me is the citizens of Cook County, the ones who I work for, who may not end up in my courtroom, but whose lives I may impact by my decisions as a prosecutor, and hopefully, a judge.

Meeting voters in informal settings, at the local breakfast joint, a high school football game, a community meet and greet with candidates – it’s the best way to connect with folks and share insight and listen to their concerns. It’s truly been the best part of my experience as a judicial candidate and will make me a better arbiter.

Who am I?

I’m a wife, mother and youngest sibling in a family of six kids. Born and raised in Park Forest, I’ve been a resident of Cook County my entire life and was reared by a single mom. To truly know who I am understanding where I came from is important as it is so much of my fabric and character. My father, of Mexican descent, left my mother, of Irish descent, when I was six years old. My father moved back to California and he was not very present in our lives. After learning how to drive my mother worked three jobs most of my childhood. She waitressed at various restaurant’s and worked as an elementary school “nurse” most of my childhood. She demonstrated to me what hard work and perseverance can accomplish as she eventually put herself back through school and became a paralegal. I am proud to say all six of her children are accomplished and she boasts 14 grandchildren. While I am proud of my biracial roots it proved tough on me as I grew up. We often relied heavily on the kindness of friends, neighbors and community to help us because of the racial tension from both sides of my parent’s families and their refusal to help us. Despite this my immediate family is tight. They are my true north and keep me grounded and real – we’re all different, with various careers and competencies, but every day that I’m in court, or prepping a case, or interviewing a witness, I ask myself: what would my family think of me? Will my decisions make them proud?

I am a wife to Brad, mother to Jack and Andrew; they are my world, my rocks and the people I think about when I’m doing my job as prosecutor. It’s easy to project that feeling to the citizens of Cook County, their families and loved ones, and makes a sometimes difficult, even heart wrenching job, a bit easier.

I am also a proud volunteer of many organizations, in and out of the legal community. I enjoy mentoring young law students as well as working as the publicity chair for Women Everywhere. I chose to dedicate much of my volunteer time to Women Everywhere, an organization founded 21 years ago by female judges and lawyers dedicated to help underprivileged women and children with service, scholarship and education. I also am a volunteer for Mount Carmel High School’s Foundation, Mothers’ Club, and Wrestling Team.

My qualifications?

I graduated from Southern Illinois University and subsequently attended the John Marshall Law School where I received her Juris Doctor Degree in 1999. Upon passing the Illinois Bar, I began my career of serving the people of Cook County by joining the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office. I am currently working in the Criminal Prosecutions Bureau, Felony Trial Division. Over the course of two decades in criminal law, I’ve honed my craft in this role whereupon in 2012 I was elevated to First Chair (lead attorney) at the Leighton Criminal Courthouse in Chicago. I am a seasoned criminal prosecutor serving the citizens of Cook County.
My trial and courtroom experience is extensive. I have spent every day of my career in a courtroom. Acting as lead attorney in over 100 felony jury and bench trials ranging in severity from drug possession to first degree murder, being responsible for prosecution and management of over 300 active felony cases, managing the work of second and third chair attorneys assigned to the courtroom, I remain an advocate for victims of crimes and their families, as well as the citizens of Cook County.

My management experience is impressive, and demonstrates a commitment to preparing younger attorneys for excellence as litigators. Working with victims, victim witness professionals, law enforcement and social workers is a priority. However, I am equally committed to working with defense attorneys to negotiate the fair and just disposition of cases. I am proud of my reputation amongst the legal community for being a strong and knowledgeable advocate as well as being compassionate and easy to work with for a fair disposition.

Found “qualified” and “recommended” by all the major bar associations, I am a strong, stable, and effective guide to ensure efficiency and excellence in all aspects of the judicial process. Given the breadth of her experience, I will bring common sense and compassion to the bench.

I enjoy the support of Retired Judge Diane Larsen to succeed her in her vacancy as well as former Cook County State’s Attorney Richard A. Devine.

How will I serve the citizens of Cook County?

I am fair, compassionate, grounded and devoted to Cook County, based upon my long tenure living and working here. I will bring those sensibilities to the bench – as a career prosecutor, I’ve argued before some great judges and each interaction has informed the way I want to proceed as an arbiter. Bringing my seasoned judgement and track record of commonsense justice to the bench is the way I want to serve my fellow citizens.

---------------------------------------
Back to "Start here for the most complete information about every 2020 Cook County judicial race"

No comments: