Friday, March 01, 2024

Lori Ann Roper: In her own words

Lori Ann Roper is a candidate for the countywide Murphy vacancy. Her punch number is 149.
Dear Voters,

My name is Lori Ann Roper, and I am running for judge countywide in the Murphy Vacancy. Although I’ve now been married to my amazing husband for 6 years, I was a single mom raising my daughter in Chicago.

I was raised by a single mother on the Southside of Chicago and come from a low-income background. My 4 siblings and I grew up in the Auburn Gresham neighborhood. When I was 13-years old, my brother Eric, lost his life due to gun violence at 15-years old while coming home from the store. His murder has stayed with me my entire life and inspired me at a young age to pursue law.

In 1988, I became a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. because of the organization's groundbreaking impact, commitment to public service, and justice which solidified my decision to go to law school in 1990. I was admitted to the Illinois Bar in 1994.

I’m currently an Attorney Supervisor in the Felony Trial Division of the Law Office of the Cook County Public Defender. During my 29 years with the office, I have litigated various cases from First Degree Murder and Retail Theft to Child Protection. In 2011, I became the supervisor in charge of the Problem-Solving Courts for the Public Defender's Office. These courts include Mental Health, Drug, Veterans, and Restorative Justice.

I decided to become a Public Defender because I genuinely care about people. I know firsthand that what is missing in the courtroom is active listening and empathy. Throughout my career, I’ve treated every case like the first time because each case has its own intricacies which deserve the same enthusiasm and fairness.

As a Black single mother, I know how prejudice and biases can impact a life. I’ve been there and I know how it feels when someone has already made up their mind about who they think you are without knowing the whole story.

My experience in Mental Health, Drug, and Veterans Courts, has provided me with the tools to understand that a case may need a closer look. And with the additional knowledge I gained from Restorative Justice Court, I am committed to looking at alternative methods for justice, while still holding the offender accountable.

With all my life experiences from my brother’s murder to membership in the largest public service sorority in the world, being a single mother and my entire legal career serving the community, I know I am the best choice to fill the Murphy Vacancy.

With your vote we can continue to diversify the bench which will benefit everyone in Cook County.

To learn more about me visit, www.electloriannroper.com.

Thank you for your consideration,

Lori Ann Roper

No comments: