Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Debjani 'Deb' Desai: In her own words

Debjani 'Deb' Desai is a candidate for the countywide Propes vacancy. Her punch number is 151.
In June of 2023, I was appointed a judge for the Circuit Court of Cook County, upon the recommendation of Chief Justice Mary Jane Theis, with unanimous approval of the Illinois Supreme Court. I have been found Well-Qualified by the Chicago Council of Lawyers, Highly Qualified by the Hispanic Lawyers Association of Illinois, and Qualified or Recommended by all other evaluating bar associations. I am endorsed by the Cook County Democratic Party, Personal PAC, the Chicago Federation of Labor, and several other organizations and individuals, not because I have political clout or wealth, but because I am the right person for this very important role.

I have extensive litigation experience in civil and criminal law, and in administrative, state, and federal tribunals. Prior to becoming a judge, I zealously advocated for children, elderly and indigent communities, and people with disabilities, through my work as General Counsel of the Illinois Office of Comptroller, an Administrative Law Judge for the Department of Healthcare and Family Services, and a Cook County Assistant State’s Attorney. I promoted equal access to the law and equal justice throughout my career. I am a long-standing, committed leader and educator in bar associations, law schools, and the community.

I am the proud daughter of immigrants from India and the first lawyer and judge in my family. Fifty-four years after they immigrated here, they got to vote for their daughter in a public election. Everything I do is to make them and the people of Cook County proud. I am running for judge to bring representation and high qualifications to the judiciary. I believe in the rule of law; in interpreting, analyzing, and applying the law impartially, without prejudice or bias, and with compassion and empathy for those I serve. I am a fair, honest, and knowledgeable judge – and I hope to continue my service to the judiciary and the people of Cook County.

Please visit www.judgedesai.com for more information and remember to vote for Judge Debjani Desai - Punch #151!

No comments: