Monday, November 06, 2023

CBA YLS announces Santa letters project

The letters referred to are not the ones that some lawyers may be tempted to write at this time of year ("Dear Santa -- This year, could you please bring me just one paying client? Preferably one that pays without kvetching about it, but I'll gladly take one that moans and complains if the check comes within 30 days....).

(In reporting this, I admit nothing about my own past practices. But now that I've closed my practice, I can reveal--only from what I have heard, of course--that letters like this did not work....)

No, the Chicago Bar Association Young Lawyers Section is looking for lawyers--such as those who actually have paying clients, or regular paychecks, or perhaps a trust fund--to answer letters from kids, providing gifts for disadvantaged Chicago Public School students who might otherwise not receive anything for Christmas at all.

The CBA YLS has teamed up with the Chicago Public Schools and Direct Effect Charities for this purpose.

Those wishing to receive a letter and fulfill some poor kid's Christmas list are invited to complete this Google form (the link is to the tinyurl address in the graphic above). Instructions about where and how to send your gift will be provided with the letter.

Questions about the project should be sent to yls@chicagobar.org.

No comments: