Wednesday, August 16, 2023

We've got a map showing all the redrawn Cook County Subcircuits

What we don't have is a list of any vacancies in the new subcircuits.

Indeed, we don't have an official list of vacancies in the redrawn Subcircuits 1-15 (my Who Sits Where list is entirely unofficial).

This was a source of comment and even apparent consternation among attendees at this week's Cook County Democratic Party slating meeting.

I mentioned in my post earlier today that Yolanda Sayre, a judicial hopeful who appeared before the slatemakers, acknowledged to the Central Committee that she was eyeing a 5th Subcircuit vacancy which I think exists... but hasn't been certified... because (as those of you who refresh the ISBE website every hour or so will attest) no subcircuit vacancies are currently listed. Anywhere in the State.

There was talk at the slating meeting that the Supreme Court had 'reallocated' some Cook County subcircuits last Thursday -- but no one seemed to know what that might mean. At least while I was within earshot. I am working official channels for actual information on this... and I will continue to do so... but that is what I know at this hour.

There were rumors -- not at slating, but before -- that there was a problem with the subcircuit redistricting that would prevent any new subcircuit seats from being filled, even after the Legislature supposedly fixed things. I didn't give these rumors much credence at the time and did not follow up. Perhaps I should have.

For now, though, I continue to believe there are new Cook County subcircuits that will elect up to 10 judges next year.

Assuming that remains the case, here is the map (get out your magnifying glasses, people, or click here for the map on the County website from which the map was obtained):

No comments: