Thursday, January 28, 2021

Problems with applied Kremlinology

It was a staple of intelligence gathering during the Cold War Era: Look at the pictures of the officials standing atop Lenin's Tomb at this year's May Day Parade. Compare with those pictured last year. Since the Communists seldom issued press releases on these subjects, the photos were one way to gauge who had moved closer to the center of power and who had been moved further away, perhaps to Siberia.

Don't worry: This is not one of those Capital-P Politics posts that some of my anonymous readers get so upset about.

(Although... as we move inexorably closer to the one-year anniversary of our two-week shutdown, my law practice has dwindled to nothing. I'm more than open to reinventing myself as a Capital-P Political Pundit or Talking Head. I could be just as wrong as any of them -- and just as often -- and for half the money, too!)

But to return to the subject... since neither the AOIC nor the Circuit Court of Cook County sends me a note when a judge decides to hang up his or her robe, I've used the Illinois Circuit Judges by Circuit page of the Illinois Courts website as one way to try to figure out what vacancies might have opened. From your comments recently, it is obvious that many of you do, also.

I learned the hard way, a few years back, that the online list is not always right. Like the Cold War intelligence analysts comparing photos, I compared an old list (which I'd downloaded and saved) to a then-current list. As a result of that exercise, I noticed that a particular judge on the old, saved list was not on the new list. I added this judge to the list of vacancies I was preparing -- and the judge in question, who was very much not retired, thank you, list or no list, was a tad miffed. And I heard about it. And I apolgized for it.

Since that experience, I have learned not to place undue reliance on the Illinois Courts' list of Circuit Judges. But I still look. As I looked this week while trying to prepare my first Who Sits Where of the 2022 season.

I have never seen it so wildly, and obviously, inaccurate. I don't know why. But I can report that the Supreme Court's "website people are taking a look Cook County judges list to update any incorrect entries." In the meantime, for those of you hunting out new vacancies, take the list with a large grain of salt. At least for now.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jack,


Please quit teaching these people trade craft. If they want to be spoon fed, let them be fed and face the consequences.


Svengali


Anonymous said...

The High Council of Timelords could do a better job managing the Supreme Court website.

Anonymous said...

Kremlinology or people trying to manipulate the next chief judge contest? Dig deeper.

Anonymous said...

Tea leaves, goat entrails and salt over the shoulder will give you a better predictor than the Supreme Court website. Well, all that and a Fox 32 camera crew sitting outside the Daley Center and Leighton.

Anonymous said...

Even a broken clock is correct twice a day.

Anonymous said...

Jack,

I am really sorry to hear your practice has taken such a hit during the pandemic You are not alone. Ironically, I discovered the Pluto internet channel just before the pandemic and it was a Godesnd. I have been binge watching old Doctor Who stories that I hadn’t seen in years. It has cheered me up immensely and if you think it would help you, then please enjoy.


Sgt. Benton

Anonymous said...

Website fixed and if Kremlinology is to be believed, at least twice, then there is another countywide vacancy.

Anonymous said...

This Kremlinology works. Just found another vacancy and started circulating this morning. Sure is empty over here at the Daley Center. Wonder how many signatures I’ll get this morning?

Jack Leyhane said...

Anon 2/2 @ 7:01 a.m. -- um... if the Daley Center is so empty you'll get no signatures? And, besides, as you probably well know, petitions can't be circulated yet -- not for several months. Why mess with the wannabes' minds?

Anonymous said...

Moose and Squirrel say if newbie wannabes don't do their own diligence, then shame on them for not knowing obvious bad information, Jack. If it was DECEPTIVE you would not have posted it. Enjoy laughs. Need to laugh at something. Bums urinating on the Daley Center and rats boldly walking the sidewalks of downtown in broad daylight tend to dampen the spirit.

Moose and Squirrel also see another potential countywide. Kremlin not as good as Capitalists think. That's why Moose and Squirrel move to Canada.

Moose and Squirrel.

Anonymous said...

I KNEW IT!

Paul Mooney -- the fabulous African-American comedian -- used to have a schtick on the Chappelle Show where he made predictions about the future. I don't think it would be politically correct to use the name Mr. Mooney used, but suffice it to say, it was a play on the name "Nostradamus." Anyway, I knew Pamela Leeming was retiring. From now on Jack, if I accurately predict future vacancies, you must list my comment later?

Amateur Nostradamus