Sunday, November 18, 2007

Thomas R. Mulroy: In his own words

Thomas R. Mulroy is a Democratic candidate for the Devlin vacancy in the 12th Subcircuit.


I am a Circuit Court Judge from the 12th Judicial Sub Circuit, having been appointed to the bench by the Illinois Supreme court in February 2007. I practiced law for thirty-four years and have a depth of varied courtroom experience representing clients in their most important legal matters. Temperament, decisiveness, politeness are essential qualities in a judge, but experience in the system and in representing clients cannot be learned and is invaluable to a judge. I am pleased to detail my experience below.

Upon graduation from Loyola Law School, I was appointed an Assistant United States Attorney and began my career as a courtroom lawyer. As a federal prosecutor I tried many jury cases in federal court and argued numerous matters before the Seventh Circuit.

I joined Jenner & Block in 1976 and remained with the firm for twenty-five years. I tried criminal and commercial jury cases throughout the country in the state and federal courts. I was very active in the representation of indigent clients through Catholic Charities, Legal Assistance Foundation and the Federal Defender Program.

While at Jenner, I was a member of the Illinois Attorney Registration & Disciplinary Commission and was appointed Special Council to the Commission and prosecuted two members of the Commission for misconduct. I was an instructor of trial practice at Northwestern, Loyola and DePaul law schools and published numerous articles on trial practice and procedure. I established “The Mulroy Award for Excellence in Evidence” at Loyola Law School. I have given many presentations on trial issues and on lawyers’ ethics to practicing attorneys throughout the country.

In 2000, I left Jenner to begin my own firm. I represented the retired partners of Arthur Andersen in the wake of the Enron scandal and Andersen’s bankruptcy in order to recover some of their life savings lost as the result of Andersen’s scandal.

In 2003, I was recruited by Mcguirewoods to be chairman of its litigation department prior to its merger with Ross Hardies. I could not resist the opportunity of joining a national firm of almost 1000 lawyers in fifteen cities.

I was found highly qualified to be a judge by the Chicago Bar, Women’s Bar, Decalogue Society and Chicago Council of Lawyers. I am the endorsed Democratic candidate for the 12th Judicial Sub Circuit.

Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. wrote that “The life of the law has not been logic; it has been experience.” Above all, we need judges who are experienced.

Cook County judicial candidates are invited to submit their own personal essays. For more information about the "In Their Own Words" challenge, click here.

No comments: