Sunday, November 18, 2007

Debra Kramer Marcus: In her own words

Debra Kramer Marcus is a candidate for judge in the 8th Subcircuit.


Over my 27 years practicing law, I have had the opportunity to gain a wealth of experience in a variety of civil litigation matters, concentrating all of my efforts in courtroom related work.

I began my career working primarily on defense files for a wide spectrum of clients, including defending doctors in medical malpractice cases, manufacturers in product liability cases, and the insureds of various insurance companies.

I then became a founding partner of a boutique-style law firm, where I practiced for the next 20 or so years, and which by its unique nature presented an even broader range of civil litigation matters with which I was personally involved, including the defense of large manufacturing concerns such as Chrysler, General Motors, Honda, Suzuki, Toyota, and Kawasaki. In this area I have been a featured speaker for IICLE and for client sponsored corporate seminars on issues of motor vehicle litigation and discovery.

Additionally, I have had, and continue to have at my current law firm, the opportunity to represent hundreds of injured plaintiffs. These cases run the gamut from injuries sustained in motor vehicle accidents, to slip and falls, to individuals suing transit companies, doctors, hospitals and major manufacturing concerns. Many of these cases have involved catastrophic injuries and complex liability issues, and have resulted in multimillion dollar settlements and/or verdicts.

Finally, I have had an extensive appellate practice, having briefed and argued numerous appeals in various Illinois Appellate Courts, the Illinois Supreme Court, the Federal District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, and the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals, resulting in over 20 reported decisions, either changing or supporting Illinois law.

I have recently been selected as an Illinois Super Lawyer, 2007 through a multi-step evaluation process that incorporates peer recognition and professional achievement to select the top 5% of Illinois lawyers for outstanding achievement in their practice of law.

Because of the large number and types of cases that I have been associated with over the years, I have acquired extensive experience in every stage of the civil litigation process. Further, because my experience has included work on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants, I believe that I have a unique and beneficial perspective on handling all of the hotly contested issues that arise in the courtroom arena.

Moreover, I have always endeavored to conduct myself with professional and personal integrity and have consistently maintained cordial relationships with my opponents, as well as the judges before whom I have appeared, continuing these relationships long past the pendency of the case which formed our initial introduction.

I feel that obtaining a judicial appointment would be the pinnacle of my legal career as well as an opportunity for me to give back to the legal community which has enriched and rewarded me over the past 27 years.

Cook County judicial candidates are invited to submit their own personal essays. For more information about the "In Their Own Words" challenge, click here.

No comments: