Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Can anybody get on the retention judges website?

Who knows? Maybe it's just me. But whenever I've tried to sign on the retention judges website (https://cookcountyjudges.org) I get something like this:
That's when trying to access the site via Firefox. When I tried using Chrome, I got this:
These screenshots are from a couple of weeks ago -- but I got the same results this morning when I tried to access the site. And in August, when I first tried to access the site for this election cycle. And my antivirus program went into spasm as well.

I wanted to link to the retention judges' site before last week's reception -- when I couldn't, I reached out to one of the organizers of the reception to inquire. Mary Kay Dawson responded on the committee's behalf and confirmed the website address; she subsequently forwarded the ActBlue donation webpage that I did include in the reception post (so interested persons could buy tickets in advance).

I asked Dawson to let me know when the retention judges site was to go live or, alternatively, whether the class had chosen not to update the site for this election cycle. I copied a couple of the retention judges who I understand to be among the leaders of the retention class on this same email. I asked for a response by Labor Day. I've heard nothing since.

Now -- don't get me wrong -- no one has to tell me anything. I'm the nobody that nobody sent. Always have been. But actual voters will soon begin voting. (Voters have been able to request mail-in ballots since August 5, according to the Illinois State Board of Elections; the ISBE also says that ballots will be mailed to voters who've requested them starting this Thursday, September 24.) The retention judges' website is one resource that voters have traditionally utilized in evaluating which retention judges to support. If that resource is going to be available, when will it be available? If that resource is not going to be utilized this year, why not? And, if the website is up and running, why can't I get on it? Can you?

Retention judges get awfully anxious at this point in the election cycle, and I am sorry for adding to their stress levels. Most FWIW readers will understand why: It's no sure thing to get a 60% +1 "yes" vote. Yes, most -- nearly all -- judges do. But we live in an increasingly contentious age... and, at this stage, retention judges typically want to leave nothing to chance.

I'll update this story as new information becomes available.

2 comments:

Albert said...

It's working now, just got in.

Jack Leyhane said...

Maybe it is just me then; I got the same error message just now in Firefox. But I'll reboot and try again when I get back here later this evening.