Wednesday, April 18, 2018

U.S. District Court announces Magistrate Judge vacancy

The Northern District of Illinois has announced an opening for a new Chicago-based Magistrate Judge.

The deadline for applications is 4:30 p.m. on May 18.

Applications can be accessed via this page on the Northern District's website.

To be eligible to serve as a Magistrate Judge an applicant must
  • be, and have been for at least five years, a member in good standing of the bar of the highest court of a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or the Virgin Islands of the United States, and have been engaged in the active practice of law for a period of at least five years;
  • be competent to perform all of the duties of the office; be of good moral character; be emotionally stable and mature; be committed to equal justice under the law; be in good health; be patient and courteous; and be capable of deliberation and decisiveness;
  • be less than seventy years of age; and
  • not be related to a judge of the district court.
A Merit Selection Panel composed of attorneys and other members of the community will review all applications and recommend to the judges of the Court a list of the persons whom it considers best qualified.

The Court will make the appointment following a Federal Bureau of Investigation full-field investigation and Internal Revenue Service tax check of the person selected to fill the position. An affirmative action effort will be made to give consideration to all qualified candidates, including women and members of minority groups.

All applications will be kept confidential, except as necessary for the Merit Selection Panel to perform its duties, and all applications will be examined only by members of the Merit Selection Panel and the district judges of the District Court.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are exceeding your jurisdiction, Jack. Stay out of federal court. Lord knows most circuit judges want to avoid it like the plague. Just ask Jessica and Brendan.

Anonymous said...

FBI background check? Heck almost none of the judges in cook county could pass one of those.

Jack Leyhane said...

Anon 4/18 @ 7:51 p.m. - I do my best to stay out of the court of limited jurisdiction when I'm wearing my lawyer hat. Anyone who's noticed the kudzu-like expansion of FRCP 26 knows that the District Court is no place for a proponent of #ZeroBasedDiscovery,

I recall one instance, in a state court case, where a fancy Federal practitioner had gone slumming, interjecting himself in the negotiation of a protective order despite the fact that his client had perfectly capable representation already. Of course, he insisted that the protective order had to be completely redone, despite the arduous negotiations that had already taken place. Eventually, I capitulated, agreeing to every asinine (and pointless) demand.

Agreed order, right?

Not hardly. The fancy Federal practitioner had a dizzying intellect, or thought he did, rather like Vizzini in The Princess Bride.

We stepped up -- and he began furiously objecting to provisions he had insisted upon just moments before.

Later, in the conference room, I confronted him. I was pissed. I wanted to belt him but, thanks to my lifelong cowardice, I was able to restrain myself.

"You are a mere state court practitioner," he sneered, dismissing my complaints with as much disdain as he could muster.

No, as a lawyer, I am quite content to remain as far away from 219 S. Dearborn as possible.

But the job announcement comes within the purview of the blog. And perhaps some readers might be interested.

Anonymous said...

No ambulances or evidence deps, so no, most of your readers are not interested in federal court.

Anonymous said...

I STOPPED TAKING FEDERAL CASES ONCE I REALIZED MY SHERIFF'S CARD WOULDN'T GET ME THROUGH THE SECURITY AT JACKSON & DEARBORN.

Anonymous said...

I stopped taking federal cases when I realized that instructing witnesses not to answer questions at a deposition could result in something more than a stern look, but actual sanctions imposed against me. Come on, everybody -- share your federal court "horror" story.

Anonymous said...

I stopped practicing at federal court when I learned that they actually expect me to wear a suit and tie when appearing in court.

Anonymous said...

What are the probate and domestic relations judges like in federal court? Ok, enough with the federal practitioner inside jokes.

Anonymous said...

I stopped taking federal cases when I realized that it was possible to have a summary judgment motion granted.

Anonymous said...

I stopped thinking about being a federal judge when I learned that you can't sneak out of the Daley Center concourse level at 2:30 everyday because the Chief Judge in federal court will actually do something about it.

Anonymous said...

I stopped dreaming of being a federal judge when I learned that the FBI does background checks that entail more than calling a ward boss to get a voucher for my credentials.

Anonymous said...

I stopped thinking about being a federal judge when I learne that I was actually expected to write a ruling instead of mumbling one as I rushed out the door at the end of the day -- 12:15.

Anonymous said...

I stopped taking federal cases when I realized that judges expected me to write briefs in ink and not crayon.