Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Tributes pouring in for Justice Joseph Gordon

The email took me by surprise this afternoon: "The Appellate Lawyers Association regrets to inform you of the death of Justice Joseph Gordon of the Illinois Appellate Court."

The Chicago Daily Law Bulletin reports tonight that Justice Gordon, 79, suffered a fatal heart attack while working at his desk.

I had the pleasure and privilege of appearing in front of Justice Gordon many times but my favorite memory of Justice Gordon concerns a case that never even got briefed.

Justice Gordon conducted the one and only Rule 310 Prehearing Conference I've ever had in that court. I'd been hired to represent a young doctor in an appeal from a judgement obtained against him by the State of Illinois. I can't go into the particulars, of course. I can say that the young doctor and his original attorney turned down a number of chances to settle in the trial court and they shouldn't have. By the time the doctor saw the light, however, the State was no longer willing to settle. Nevertheless, Justice Gordon made a heroic effort -- and he persisted, even when the State became intransigent. Indeed, the more the State refused, the harder he tried. It was a long and ultimately frustrating day. The prehearing conference didn't work, in the end, but I will remember Justice Gordon's effort if I live to be 110.

Justice Gordon will be sorely missed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I worked with Justice Gordon and considered him a friend. We lost contact a few years ago. Just as I was trying to reconnect with him, I found out about his passing. I shall miss him and his friendship but will always admire him as a very kind and honest man. Christian