Saturday, June 07, 2008

City ecycling dropoff a good idea

I suppose this will have to replace the incandescent
bulb as the symbol for a good idea, right?


Last month I mentioned that I'd found, on line, a location in the City of Chicago where, it seemed, residents could drop off ecycling -- old computer components, VCRs, and other electronics.

The ecycling facility was supposed to be at 1150 N. North Branch Street (two blocks east of the Kennedy Expressway at Division Street).

But I hadn't gone. I couldn't vouch for it. The posted hours are limited:
  • Tuesday (7:00 am - 12:00 pm)
  • Thursday (2:00 pm- 7:00 pm)
  • The first Saturday of every month (8:00 am - 3:00 pm)
Today, however, was the first Saturday of the month and I had the opportunity to check the place out.

I can now vouch for the place. It's there.

They took my stuff.

They didn't charge me.

That's a good thing.

I did learn that the facility can not accept stuff from a business. This strikes me as strange. It seems to me that the City can make money from ecycling electronics. Why should it matter whether the printer was in an office or in someone's den at home? (Whether a lawyer can drop off an old computer containing client information is something that will have to be addressed in a separate post.)

Anyway, here is a list of what the Chicago facility will and will not take:

Accepted Materials (please drop off):

  • antifreeze
  • unused/expired medications
  • used motor oil
  • old gasoline
  • oil-based paints
  • paint thinners
  • aerosol paints and pesticides
  • herbicides
  • insecticides
  • pesticides
  • lawn chemicals
  • solvents
  • drain cleaners
  • cleaning products
  • pool chemicals
  • hobby chemicals
  • mercury
  • compact Fluorescent lamp and light bulbs
  • computers
  • cell phones

  • Unaccepted Materials (do NOT drop off):

    • agricultural waste
    • smoke detectors
    • farm machinery oil
    • fire extinguishers
    • appliances
  • explosives
  • fireworks
  • business/commercial sector waste
  • institutional waste
  • medical waste
  • No comments: