Wednesday, May 23, 2018

"What year did I just wake up in, 1967?"

That's the opening line in one comment in my moderation queue this morning.

And one might think so, after reading some of the toxic waste here masquerading as 'comments' on the events of the day in our little legal community. And, yes, you're not seeing everything.

But I'm going to call horse feathers on this. On all of this.

Here's how another comment in my inbox begins --
I’m a caucasion judge and the fact is not one black american judge called me to discuss their candidates... and that’s the concensus I hear from many others.
Even allowing for middle-aged fingers on a cell phone (no Baby Boomer can text like a Millennial) I'm going to say this comment is not really from a Cook County judge. It may not be from a Russian hacker---I have no delusions of grandeur--- but it's not from a judge, "caucasion" or otherwise.

Another suppressed comment, claiming to be written by a recently elected Irish female judge planning a bid for the Appellate Court, includes these lines:
Blacks will vote for me because they never unify and squabble about who is black enough, whatever that means. But we Irish, we are the epitome of Pavlov's dogs: when we see an Irish name we vote for it with no questions asked. You could be a pedophile or cop killer, but if your last name ends with an O or Mc, then you're our candidate.
Um, pedophile? Cop killer? "Last name ends with O or Mc?"

No. That comment was not written by a judge. I don't believe it. And, if you're honest, neither do you.

So it's time to stop the role-playing crap. I won't be an accessory to it any more. At least I'm not going to make it so easy.

Until further notice, Anonymous comments will no longer be permitted on FWIW. You're at least going to have to pick a name.

We'll see how this goes.

No comments: