Friday, August 14, 2026

Eight million page views... but...

According to my Blogger dashboard, FWIW crossed the 8-million page view mark some time yesterday. This is a screenshot of the statistics I found when I signed on this morning. That's over 2,000,000 page views since January. Pretty heady stuff, really.

On the other hand, I didn't win the Powerball jackpot, I still have no book contract, and my phone just died. I had a different article in mind for FWIW this morning... but i'll have to do something about that phone today.

* Sigh *

4 comments:

Charlie Meyerson said...

Congrats! I still think this should be an email newsletter!

Anonymous said...

Hard to believe that nobody posts comments anymore. Post the comments. They are the most entertaining and informational aspect of this blog.

Jack Leyhane said...

Thanks, Charlie. I don't think I could ever do a daily newsletter as you have done so successfully and for so long. It's a matter of regular updating: I keep lapsing... a week here, a month there. I'm grateful that you continue to visit, even though I have failed to follow your advice on this major point....

Jack Leyhane said...

@Anon 8/17 10:02 a.m. --

You are correct to assume that I don't publish all the comments I receive. I don't publish most of them. I imagine you might even understand why I don't publish comments from disgruntled pro se litigants.

But you are probably thinking more of the snide, mean-spirited attacks that some people like to launch against other people from the safety of anonymity. These comments are not all necessarily libelous... perhaps most of them aren't, not really... expressions of opinion, even particularly nasty opinions, generally aren't, for example... but I choose not to spend my golden years trying to identify the precise border between what is or is not legally actionable.

I don't know everyone who has been the subject of these attacks over the years... while I admittedly knew a few of them, some years back, I never knew nearly enough of the insiders... which is why I never got on the bench... and the further I get from the daily practice of law, the fewer such people I know, even as nodding acquaintances.

So I concede that some of the people that anonymous commenters try and stab at from the shadows really may be incompetent fools, or ignorant political hacks, or whatever -- I wouldn't pretend to know -- but I don't feel obligated to aid and abet anonymous assassins. So I suppress the attack comments.

Even if those suppressed comments are (or would be) "the most entertaining and informational aspect" of this site. (And thank you very much for that shot, too, come to think of it.)

I have bent sometimes, when a comment was genuinely clever, or conveyed some useful nugget of information along with the brickbat aimed at some judge, or would-be judge. I have been known to regret my decisions in this regard as well. Maybe that's an example of inconsistency on my part. I may be consistently inconsistent.

But I find myself looking at nasty comments in my queue and feeling sorry for someone who (for example) had the juice to snag a Supreme Court appointment or get slated by the Cook County Democratic Party. Is that weird?

I guess people can be jerks. But I'd like everyone to play nice.