Friday, March 02, 2018

Martin D. Reggi: In his own words

Martin D. Reggi is a candidate for Riley vacancy in the 4th Subcircuit. His punch number is 156.


My name is Martin D. Reggi and I am a candidate for the Fourth Judicial Subcircuit vacancy. I am a general practitioner in Berwyn, Illinois with a 37-year legal career within a variety of legal areas. The focus of my legal career has been to work with the communities of the suburbs and Chicago. Specifically, I have continually supported the rehabilitation of youth offenders in an effort to keep our streets safe. I will continue this task as a judge.

I attended Loyola University in Chicago and Lewis College of Law (which is now Northern Illinois University). After graduating, I served as an Assistant State’s Attorney. In these formative years, I honed my writing and litigation skills by drafting more than 25 appeals and working at the Bridgeview and Maywood courthouses. These courts are part of the Fourth Judicial Subcircuit, which familiarized me with the reoccurring issues that arise within these neighborhoods.

My practice has focused on many legal areas, with the main ones being criminal law, real estate, and bankruptcy. I have sharpened my skills in these areas and established excellent working relationships with the counsel, judges, and staff throughout Cook and the collar counties. I am proud to say I have conducted thousands of trials and hundreds of real estate closings.

I have helped ensure clients are afforded justice. I helped them buy their first homes, and maintain resiliency in times of hardship. Most important to me, I have defended young men and women with substance abuse issues. Sometimes these individuals were children who had been exposed to trauma that lead to mental health and addiction issues. As a father to seven children, my clients reminded me of my kids and I fought hard to set them on a better path and prevent further destructive choices. My experience as a father shaped my legal and communication style, as I try to strike a balance between caring and authority. I seek the best outcome in a case and the best possible outcome in an individual’s future.

Further, my experience as a general practitioner has allowed me to defend a wide and diverse spectrum of clients. I believe that this contact with people of many different backgrounds has helped me grow as a lawyer and will ultimately help me serve as a judge. I plan to use this awareness to ensure that each judgment passed is fair and equal.

My legal career, my love for my family, and my desire to help youth have encouraged me to seek candidacy as a judge in the area I call home – the southwestern suburbs of the Fourth Judicial Subcircuit. I have worked hard to prepare myself as a candidate by getting to know the citizens in the towns that make up the Subcircuit. Over six years, I have shared cups of coffee, walked in parades, and listened to the stories of my neighbors. I humbly seek the voters’ support and it would be my honor to represent you in the judiciary.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Click here to return to Organizing the Data: 4th Subcircuit - Riley Vacancy

No comments: