Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, eggs, bacon, spam -- and e-mail, too.

I've been on AOL since it was new, through all the years when it's been the "Internet on training wheels." I'm used to it. And my AOL e-mail address is published in enough places that people can find me. Such as clients. I hope.

Since even AOL now offers a spam filter, I assume that everyone who can read this is familiar with what spam filters are and what they do. Or what they're supposed to do.

But here's what my spam filter did yesterday: It intercepted and blocked an order sent by the District Court in one of my cases -- but it passed this e-mail through:
My Dear Friend,

I am Hajjiah. Mariam Abacha, wife to the late Nigerian Head of state, General Sani Abacha who is late now, l am contacting you with the hope that you will be of great assistance to me....
I have moved this e-mail to my spam pile -- but, if you want me to refer this case to you, well, feel free to e-mail me. Who knows where your e-mail will end up?

No comments: